Understanding Potential Wells: Exploring Lennard Jones Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a potential well and its relation to local minimum kinetic energy. The potential well is described as a potential field with specific values for the potential function at different distances. The terms 'a' and 'b' represent real numbers in this context.
ibysaiyan
Hi PF users,

The subject of this thread is clearly stated on the title ( above). So my question is what is mean't by a 'potential well'. I have a question based on Lennard jones potential from where this question arose in the first place ( which I will probably post on respective sub-forum if I get stumped).

My current understanding is from ( google) , someone correct me if I am mistaken but when the terms 'local minimum' are used in the context of potential well .. does it strictly imply that at this energy depth , we can't have any transition say e.g P.E into kinetic energy as it would tend to in nature (entropy).
Can someone elaborate on this.. I ask this because I have a question which's based on LJ potential equation.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
a potential well is a potential field of the form:
V= 0 when [itex]\left|x[/itex][itex]\right|[/itex] ≥ a,
V= -b when [itex]\left|x[/itex][itex]\right|[/itex] ≤ a
i can't find the "smaller than but not equal to sign"...
ok so it looks like a well. my guess is that you are talking about the "local minimum kinetic energy" of the particle inside the well, and in that case the kinetic energy is always nonzero regardless of the size of b. i.e. even if one limits b to zero, such that you almost see that you have no potential at all, you have a finite (though infinitesimal) kinetic energy for the particle.

ardie said:
a potential well is a potential field of the form:
V= 0 when [itex]\left|x[/itex][itex]\right|[/itex] ≥ a,
V= -b when [itex]\left|x[/itex][itex]\right|[/itex] ≤ a
i can't find the "smaller than but not equal to sign"...
ok so it looks like a well. my guess is that you are talking about the "local minimum kinetic energy" of the particle inside the well, and in that case the kinetic energy is always nonzero regardless of the size of b. i.e. even if one limits b to zero, such that you almost see that you have no potential at all, you have a finite (though infinitesimal) kinetic energy for the particle.

Thanks for your reply but I don't think I understand the expression which you have posted above. What are the terms 'a' and 'b' above ? V I assume is the potential.

a and b can be any real number. absolutely V is the potential function which is a function of x in this instance.

ardie said:
a and b can be any real number. absolutely V is the potential function which is a function of x in this instance.

I see. Thanks !

1. What is a potential well?

A potential well is a concept in physics that describes a region in space where the potential energy of a particle is at a minimum. This means that the particle will tend to stay within that region due to the attractive forces present.

2. What is the Lennard-Jones potential?

The Lennard-Jones potential is a mathematical model used to describe the interaction between two neutral atoms or molecules. It takes into account both attractive (van der Waals) and repulsive (steric) forces between the particles.

3. How is the Lennard-Jones potential related to potential wells?

The Lennard-Jones potential is often used to model potential wells because it accurately describes the attractive forces that hold particles within a potential well. As the particles get closer together, the potential energy decreases, creating a minimum in the potential well.

4. What factors affect the shape and depth of a potential well?

The shape and depth of a potential well are affected by several factors, including the strength of the attractive and repulsive forces between particles, the distance between the particles, and the size and mass of the particles.

5. How is understanding potential wells important in scientific research?

Potential wells play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in various physical systems, such as atoms and molecules in chemistry, electrons in solid-state physics, and even galaxies in cosmology. Understanding potential wells allows scientists to predict and manipulate the movement and interactions of particles, leading to advancements in various fields of science and technology.