Understanding Probability & Statistics

Then use the probability mass function of a binomial distribution to find the probability of k being in those bounds.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem on a test involving a computer's 32-bit register. The current drawn from the power supply is determined by the number of 1's in the register and the question asks for the probability that the current falls within a specific range. The solution involves using the bounds on the current to find bounds on the number of 1's in the register, then using the probability mass function of a binomial distribution to calculate the desired probability.
Execute
Hey everyone!

I had the following problem on mt test & still can't figure out how to do it. Please help me understand it.

Question: A computer has a 32-bit register. The current drawn from the power supply is
i = 0.1 + 0.05k(micro amperes), where k is the number of 1's in the register. Under normal operating conditions, 1's and 0's are equally likely and independent throughout the register. Find the probability that the current falls between 1.2 & 1.4 (micro amperes), inclusive.

Thanks everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
You really are supposed to explain your own thoughts before receiving help here, but I'll start you off by saying that you should use the bounds on the current to find bounds on k.

Hello there,

Probability and statistics are essential tools in the field of science and are used to analyze and interpret data. In this case, we can use these tools to solve the problem you have mentioned.

To find the probability that the current falls between 1.2 and 1.4 micro amperes, we need to first understand the distribution of the number of 1's in the register. Since 1's and 0's are equally likely and independent, the distribution will follow a binomial distribution.

Next, we need to calculate the probability of getting a particular number of 1's in the register. This can be done using the binomial probability formula, which is P(k) = (n choose k) * p^k * (1-p)^(n-k), where n is the number of bits in the register, k is the number of 1's, and p is the probability of getting a 1.

In this case, n = 32 and p = 0.5. Now, we need to calculate the probability of getting k = 12, 13, or 14 1's in the register. This can be done by plugging in the values in the binomial probability formula and summing them up. The final result will give us the probability of the current falling between 1.2 and 1.4 micro amperes.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep practicing and good luck on your test!

What is the difference between probability and statistics?

Probability is the measure of how likely an event is to occur, based on mathematical calculations and assumptions. Statistics, on the other hand, is the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data to make informed conclusions about a population or phenomenon.

How can I use probability and statistics in real life?

Probability and statistics are used in a variety of fields, such as finance, medicine, and engineering, to make predictions and inform decision making. For example, probability can be used to determine the likelihood of a certain medical treatment being successful, while statistics can be used to analyze market trends and make investment decisions.

What is the importance of understanding probability and statistics?

Understanding probability and statistics allows us to make sense of the world around us by using data and evidence to draw conclusions. It also helps us make informed decisions and predictions, and can be used to identify trends and patterns in data.

What are some common misconceptions about probability and statistics?

One common misconception is that probability and statistics are the same thing. Another is that they are only relevant in mathematics or science-related fields. In reality, they can be applied to a wide range of disciplines and are essential for critical thinking and decision making in everyday life.

How can I improve my understanding of probability and statistics?

Practicing and applying the concepts, such as through problem-solving and data analysis, is the best way to improve understanding. Seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, can also be helpful in gaining a deeper understanding of the subject.