Understanding Reflection in Light: Electromagnetic Interactions with Matter

• B
  • Thread starter _PJ_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflection
In summary, the conversation discusses the interaction between light and matter, specifically how the electromagnetic aspects of electrons can either cause translucency or absorption. The topic of reflection is brought up, with the suggestion to read Feynman's book "QED: the strange theory of light and matter". The speaker mentions that they have read the book before but cannot remember the details, specifically about internal reflections and the concept of matter being composed of space.
_PJ_
If light encounters -normal- matter, the electromagnetic aspects of the influence of the electrons will be interacted with (I'm ignoring any stress contributuins to gravity) which is (scattering matrix?) either nothing at all (translucency) due to quantisation, or absorbtion.

Is this correct?

If so, how is it that light be reflected?

Physics news on Phys.org
_PJ_ said:
If so, how is it that light be reflected?
You might want to give Feynman's book "QED: the strange theory of light and matter" a try.

Yrs i have that book, unfortunately, it's in storage, and I've not seen an english-language version here. Sadly I am unable to memorise entire chapters I had read over ten years ago.

I do recall passages and diagrams concerning internal reflections and the phase-changes as result but the details are fuzzy now. Also, I seem to recall diagrams where light was an oscillating line and matter had a ' surface' marked by a continuous, thin line...

I am unconvinced that matter is composed of space thus bounded.

1. What is reflection in light?

Reflection in light is the process in which light bounces off a surface and changes direction. This can occur with all types of light, including visible light, as well as other forms of electromagnetic radiation such as radio waves, microwaves, and X-rays.

2. How does reflection occur?

Reflection occurs when light waves encounter a surface and some of the waves are absorbed, while others are reflected. The reflected waves travel away from the surface at an angle equal to the angle at which they originally hit the surface.

3. What are the laws of reflection?

The laws of reflection state that the angle of incidence (the angle at which the light hits the surface) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which the light is reflected). Additionally, the incident ray, the reflected ray, and the normal (a line perpendicular to the surface) all lie in the same plane.

4. How does reflection affect the color of objects?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that it reflects. For example, a red object appears red because it reflects red light and absorbs other colors. When light reflects off an object, the reflected light takes on the color of the object, giving it its appearance.

5. How does understanding reflection in light benefit us?

Understanding reflection in light is crucial in many practical applications, such as in the design of mirrors, lenses, and other optical devices. It also allows us to see our surroundings by reflecting light into our eyes, and plays a role in photography, astronomy, and many other fields.