Understanding Resistivity and Current Relationships: Explained Simply"

In summary, resistivity is an inherent property of a material that is determined by its atomic structure. It is not affected by the amount of material present. The equation R = \rho \frac{l}{A} can be used to determine the resistance of a specific piece of material, but it requires knowledge of both the resistivity and the geometry of the piece. The current 'I' in this equation is not a determining factor in resistivity.
JohnGano
So, resistivity goes like [tex]\rho = R \frac{A}{l}[/tex] (where A = cross sectional area, l = length)

I solved for resistance and got [tex]R = \rho \frac{l}{A}[/tex]

If [tex]R = \rho \frac{l}{A} = \frac{V}{I}[/tex] would the current correspond to the ampacity of the material? Or, if you were to replace R in the first equation with V/I, what current value would be used in determining the resistivity of a material?

This is not a homework question. I just read about resistivity and now I'm trying to figure this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnGano said:
Or, if you were to replace R in the first equation with V/I, what current value would be used in determining the resistivity of a material?

No, even if you were to do that to the equation, it would not mean that 'I' somehow determines 'rho'. The resistivity is an inherent property of the material. So, what that equation would be saying is:

"Given the resistivity of this particular material, and the geometry of the particular chunk of it that I have here, if I apply voltage 'V' across this chunk, a current 'I' through it will result."

The resistivity is determined by the nature of the material at the atomic scale. For instance, metals are chemical elements that easily lose their outermost electrons. As a result, a metal tends to contain a 'sea' of electrons that are not bound to any of the atomic nuclei in the lattice structure. As a result, they are able to flow freely in response to applied electric fields, and hence metals make good electrical conductors (they have a high conductivity, which means a low resistivity -- the two are merely reciprocals). In contrast, materials that are bad conductors (high resistivity) tend not to have many (or any) free electrons.

The point of resistivity is that, unlike resistance, it is a property of the material itself that does not depend on the specific amount of it that you have (kind of like density). In order to determine the resistance of a specific piece of that material, you need to know both its resistivity and the geometry of that piece.

Last edited:

1. What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's inherent resistance to the flow of electric current. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ω⋅m).

2. How is resistivity different from resistance?

While resistivity is a property of a material, resistance is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of electric current. Resistivity takes into account the material's dimensions, while resistance does not.

3. What factors affect the resistivity of a material?

The resistivity of a material is affected by its physical properties, such as temperature, composition, and impurities. The type of material, as well as its dimensions, also play a role in determining resistivity.

4. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductive material. It is measured in amperes (A) and is dependent on the voltage applied and the resistance of the material.

5. How are resistivity and current related?

The relationship between resistivity and current is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a material is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the material's resistance. This means that as resistivity increases, the current decreases, and vice versa.