Understanding ROM Implementation with Examples and Truth Tables

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ROM (Read-Only Memory) and its use in storing information in computers. The example provided involves a truth table and a ROM implementation, and the individual is having trouble understanding how to implement ROM in this specific scenario. However, it is explained that a ROM is essentially an array of cells that can be set to 0 or 1, and is accessed through an address. The individual is advised to input the desired values into the bit vector in the appropriate order to create a ROM. It is also mentioned that in the provided example, two lines are left out because they can be predicted, and a visual representation of how a ROM can be created using the entire KARNO table is shown.
transgalactic
http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img86301qt1.jpg

i have a trouble in understanding ROM
i know that it has addresses and words and that its used in computers in order
to store info.

but when i get to the example i can't understand the functionality of it.

in the example that i present here we have a truth table and then
the Rom implementation
i don't have any problem to build a KARNO table
and to build a big circuit out of it

but i need to implement ROM here

Physics news on Phys.org
What don't you understand? This is very simple.

A ROM is just an array of cells that can be set to one or zero. The array is accessed (in your case) six cell at a time. This can be thought of as a bit vector. This bit vector is then accesses via an address which (in your case) is three input lines. If you input 000 on the address lines, you get the first vector, 001 the second vector etc. This vectors are used for whatever you want -- it is often a computer program or a look up table.

To do your problem, just stick the values you want into the appropriate bit vector in order...

i noticed that they just put a big box on a certain part of karno table
and call it ROM
the leave out two lines because they can predict there out put
http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img86301qt1ka1.jpg

i could make a ROM out of the whole thing

am i correct?

1. What is ROM implementation and why is it important?

ROM (Read-Only Memory) implementation is the process of storing and retrieving data using a fixed set of instructions or patterns. It is important because it allows for permanent storage of data without the need for a constant power source, making it an essential component in electronic devices.

2. How does ROM implementation work?

ROM chips consist of a grid of rows and columns, with each intersection representing a bit of data. The data is stored in the form of electrical charges, with a charged intersection representing a "1" and an uncharged intersection representing a "0". When a specific address is accessed, the chip sends out a signal to the corresponding row and column, which then activates the desired bit and retrieves the stored data.

3. What are some examples of ROM implementation in everyday life?

ROM is used in many electronic devices, such as calculators, digital clocks, and remote controls. It is also used in gaming consoles, where it stores the game data and instructions. Additionally, ROM is used in embedded systems, such as car engines and medical equipment, to store and access critical data.

4. What is a truth table and how is it related to ROM implementation?

A truth table is a visual representation of the logical operations performed by a digital circuit. It shows the possible inputs and corresponding outputs for a given logic function. In ROM implementation, a truth table is used to map the input addresses to their corresponding output data, allowing for easy understanding and verification of the chip's functionality.

5. How does ROM implementation differ from RAM implementation?

ROM is a type of non-volatile memory, meaning it retains data even when the power is turned off. It is used for long-term storage of data that does not need to be changed frequently. On the other hand, RAM (Random Access Memory) is a volatile memory that is used for short-term storage of data that is constantly being accessed and modified. Unlike ROM, the data in RAM is lost when the power is turned off.