Understanding Set Theory and the + Symbol: Solving Equations with Sets

In summary, the "+" symbol in set theory represents the disjoint union operation, where two sets are combined in a way that ensures their elements do not overlap. In this particular problem, the sets X, Y, and Z are being combined in the form of ordered pairs, with the digits 0 and 1 representing the positions of the elements in the pairs. By understanding this concept, one can approach the problem by looking at specific elements and using the given definitions to understand their relationships.
mikemhz
Set Theory "+" symbol

1. X, Y and Z are sets. Does X × (Y + Z) = X × Y + X × Z?

The solution starts like so:

X × (Y + Z) = {(x,(y,0)) | x [itex]\in[/itex] X, y [itex]\in[/itex] Y}[itex]\cup[/itex]{(x,(z,1)) | x [itex]\in[/itex] X, z [itex]\in[/itex] Z}

I don't understand how the "+" symbol works. Why does it equate to this (x,(y,0)) (x,(z,1)) format? 0... 1...?

This is a frustrating early stumbling point for my discrete mathematics, "foundations of computer science" exam revision. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

I think more people would be able to help if you define +, 0 and 1, and explain if you're talking about subsets of ℝ or something else.

mikemhz said:
1. X, Y and Z are sets. Does X × (Y + Z) = X × Y + X × Z?

The solution starts like so:

X × (Y + Z) = {(x,(y,0)) | x [itex]\in[/itex] X, y [itex]\in[/itex] Y}[itex]\cup[/itex]{(x,(z,1)) | x [itex]\in[/itex] X, z [itex]\in[/itex] Z}

I don't understand how the "+" symbol works. Why does it equate to this (x,(y,0)) (x,(z,1)) format? 0... 1...?

This is a frustrating early stumbling point for my discrete mathematics, "foundations of computer science" exam revision. Please help.
Hello mikemhz. Welcome to PF !

[STRIKE]I suspect there's more to this problem than you have given us.

Please state the complete problem as it was given to you. As Fredrik suggested, there must be more information regarding the sets X, Y, and Z and the opperation, +, than you have stated.
[/STRIKE]

Added in Edit:
I see you posted the problem seconds after I posted this.

Last edited:

So the full question is phrased like so:

Suppose X; Y and Z are sets. Does X × (Y + Z) = X × Y + X × Z?
If X, Y and Z are finite, what can we say about the cardinalities of
X × (Y + Z) and X × Y + X × Z?

I'm not looking for the solution. It's sitting here in front of me. I just don't understand the very first step. That being:

X×(Y+Z) = {(x,(y,0)) | x [itex]\in[/itex] X, y [itex]\in[/itex] Y}[itex]\cup[/itex]{(x,(z,1)) | x [itex]\in[/itex] X, y [itex]\in[/itex] Y}

X×Y+Y×Z = {((x, y),0) | x [itex]\in[/itex] X, y [itex]\in[/itex] Y}[itex]\cup[/itex]{((x,z),1) | x [itex]\in[/itex] X, z [itex]\in[/itex] Z}

These two are clearly not equal as sets because they have different
elements: for example, given x [itex]\in[/itex] X, y [itex]\in[/itex] Y , by the definition of ordered
pairs it is not the case that (x,(y, 0)) = ((x, y), 0).

I understand why these are not equal, but not where 1 and 0 come into it, or what "+" means, as it's not in the standard set theory symbol set.

EDIT: I also suspect there is a typo on the first line of the solution, surely the second half involves Z rather than Y?

Last edited:

So I just looked through the lecture slides and the "+" symbol means the sum or disjoint union.

X+Y = { (x,0) | x∈X} ∪ {(y,1) | y∈Y}

I think this is an important point to clarify because it crops up again later in the module. Still why 0 and 1?

EDIT: OK. In a moment of clarity I've realized that the digit relates to the position of the ordered pair. So in X+Y, x is in the 0 position, and y is in the 1 position.

*Deleted*

Last edited:

mikemhz said:
So I just looked through the lecture slides and the "+" symbol means the sum or disjoint union.

X+Y = { (x,0) | x∈X} ∪ {(y,1) | y∈Y}

I think this is an important point to clarify because it crops up again later in the module. Still why 0 and 1?
OK, I think I understand the definition. The idea is that the "disjoint union" of X and Y should be the union of two disjoint sets X' and Y' such that X can be bijectively mapped onto X' and Y can be bijectively mapped onto Y'. So we can use any set with two members to define X' and Y'. We denote the two members by 0 and 1, and define
\begin{align}
&X'=\{(x,0)|x\in X\}\\
&Y'=\{(y,1)|y\in Y\}\\
&X+Y=X'\cup Y'
\end{align}Edit: I think you should just start with a statement like "Let ##w\in X\times(Y+Z)##." Then you can use the definitions to figure out something about w. You can also try the assumption ##w\in X\times Y+X\times Z##, and see what that tells you about w.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Set Theory and the + Symbol: Solving Equations with Sets

1. What is the "+" symbol in set theory?

In set theory, the "+" symbol is used to represent the union of two sets. This means that all elements from both sets are included in the union set. For example, if set A contains the elements {1, 2, 3} and set B contains the elements {2, 4}, then A + B would result in the set {1, 2, 3, 4}.

2. How is the "+" symbol used in set theory?

The "+" symbol is used in set theory to denote the union operation between two sets. This operation combines all elements from both sets into a new set without repeating any elements.

3. What is the difference between "+" and "∪" in set theory?

The "+" symbol and "∪" symbol serve the same purpose in set theory, which is to denote the union operation between two sets. However, the "+" symbol is more commonly used in informal settings, while "∪" is the formal notation used in mathematics.

4. Can the "+" symbol be used to combine more than two sets?

Yes, the "+" symbol can be used to combine more than two sets. For example, if set A contains the elements {1, 2}, set B contains the elements {2, 3}, and set C contains the elements {3, 4}, then A + B + C would result in the set {1, 2, 3, 4}.

5. What other symbols are commonly used in set theory?

Other commonly used symbols in set theory include "∩" for intersection, "⊆" for subset, and "∈" for element of. These symbols, along with the "+" symbol, are essential for representing and manipulating sets in mathematics and other fields.