Understanding ##SO(2)## as Isotropy Group for ##x \in R^3##

• I
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the isotropy group for ##x \in R^3## is ##SO(2)##, because it represents rotations in a plane and any rotation will fix the axis of rotation, making it isomorphic to ##SO(2)##. The group action must be defined first before determining the subgroup that fixes a given element.
Silviu
Hello! I am not sure I understand why ##SO(2)## is the isotropy group for ##x \in R^3##. If I understood it well, the isotropy group contains all the elements such that ##gx=x##. But this is not the case for ##SO(2)## as this group represents rotations in a plane, so unless x is the axis of rotation, x will be changed. What am I getting wrong here? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure of your context, but one interpretation is that ##x## represents the line (or vector) that connects the origin to ##x## considered as a point.

Silviu said:
Hello! I am not sure I understand why ##SO(2)## is the isotropy group for ##x \in R^3##. If I understood it well, the isotropy group contains all the elements such that ##gx=x##. But this is not the case for ##SO(2)## as this group represents rotations in a plane, so unless x is the axis of rotation, x will be changed. What am I getting wrong here? Thank you!
If I understand your question correctly, you must first have a group action defined, after which you determine the subgroup that fixes a given element.

If you mean the action of ##SO(3)## on ##R^3## by rotations then any rotation fixes its axis of rotation. The subgroup of rotations with a given axis is isomorphic to ##SO(2)##

1. What is ##SO(2)## and how does it relate to isotropy group for ##x \in R^3##?

##SO(2)## is the special orthogonal group in two dimensions, which is a mathematical group that represents rotations in a two-dimensional space. It relates to the isotropy group for ##x \in R^3## because it is the group of rotations that leave a fixed point (the origin) unchanged in a three-dimensional space.

2. How is the concept of isotropy applied in the context of ##x \in R^3##?

In the context of ##x \in R^3##, isotropy refers to the property of a point or a region being invariant under a certain group of transformations. In this case, the isotropy group for ##x \in R^3## is the group of rotations (represented by ##SO(2)##) that leave ##x## unchanged.

3. What does it mean for a point to have isotropy under ##SO(2)##?

If a point has isotropy under ##SO(2)##, it means that the point remains unchanged under any rotation in the two-dimensional plane. In other words, the point is invariant under the group of rotations represented by ##SO(2)##.

4. How does understanding ##SO(2)## as the isotropy group for ##x \in R^3## relate to real-world applications?

Understanding ##SO(2)## as the isotropy group for ##x \in R^3## has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, it is used in robotics to control the orientation of objects, in computer graphics to create realistic 3D animations, and in physics to study the symmetries of physical systems.

5. Can you explain the significance of ##SO(2)## as the isotropy group for ##x \in R^3## in terms of symmetry?

##SO(2)## being the isotropy group for ##x \in R^3## means that any rotation in the two-dimensional plane will preserve the symmetry of ##x##. This is significant because it allows us to analyze the symmetries of objects in three-dimensional space by using the simpler two-dimensional rotations represented by ##SO(2)##.