Understanding Tensor Indices and Conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conservation of indices as a mnemonic device for transforming upper and lower components in equations. The conversation also delves into the concept of tangent space and the use of partial derivatives as differential operators. The experts recommend checking out resources on differential geometry and suggest the textbooks "Classical Field Theory" and "Gravitation" as helpful sources.
etotheipi
I know what Carroll refers to as 'conservation of indices' is just a trick to help you remember the pattern for transforming upper and lower components, but nonetheless I don't understand what he means in this example:

1599395309954.png

E.g. on the LHS the free index ##\nu'## is a lower index, and on the RHS, the ##\nu'## is an upper index in the denominator of a partial derivative. So maybe I'm missing the point of the heuristic...

Likes JD_PM
Physics news on Phys.org
It's correct, though I don't like the notation with primed indices instead of primed symbols. This is utterly confusing and bad notation.

Now concerning the index placement of derivatives. You start with some coordinates ##q^{\mu}##. This imply a holonomous basis (of tangent vectors), ##\partial_{\mu}##, and dual basis ##\mathrm{d} q^{\mu}##.

Now transform to another set of coordinates ##\bar{q}^{\mu}##. The dual-basis vectors transform like
$$\mathrm{d} \bar{q}^{\mu} = \mathrm{d} q^{\nu} \frac{\partial \bar{q}^{\mu}}{\partial q^{\nu}},$$
and the basis vectors as
$$\bar{\partial}_{\mu} = \frac{\partial q^{\nu}}{\partial \bar{q}^{\mu}} \partial_{\nu}.$$
As you see the partial derivative wrt. a lower-index object leads to an object with a lower index.

Likes Abhishek11235, JD_PM and etotheipi
Thanks! I understand the index placement now, but I'm confused about something else... in what sense do the ##\partial_{\mu}## form a basis, and for what vector space?

etotheipi said:
and for what vector space?

For tangent space. And what do you mean by "in what sense do ##\partial_\mu## form a basis"?

Likes Abhishek11235 and etotheipi
weirdoguy said:
For tangent space. And what do you mean by "in what sense do ##\partial_\mu## form a basis"?

Ah, okay thanks. He talked a little bit about the tangent space ##T_p## at the beginning, but talked about it having a basis ##\hat{e}_{(\mu)}## and decomposing the vectors in the tangent space like ##A = A^{\mu}\hat{e}_{(\mu)}##.

But I've never seen a partial derivative used as a vector before, so I wondered what this is all about... I'm guessing the ##\hat{e}_{(\mu)}## are the ##\partial_{\mu}##, but that seems like a pretty strange concept... :wink:

Likes PeroK
etotheipi said:
But I've never seen a partial derivative used as a vector before, so I wondered what this is all about...

Well, tangent vectors can be considered as differential operators acting on smooth functions by means of directional derivative. It's a standard practice to denote basis of tangent space by partial differential operators, since action of those basis vectors on a function gives us partial derivatives of that function. These are standard topics in differential geometry, so I guess it would be a good idea to check some textbook on that for more info.

• Informative
Likes Abhishek11235, vanhees71 and etotheipi
That's pretty cool! I searched up the directional derivatives and found an example relating to the velocity components,$$v^i = \frac{dx^i}{dt}$$Then we can consider a directional derivative operator, ##\frac{d}{dt}##, along the trajectory ##x^i = x^i(t)##,$$\frac{d}{dt} = v^i \partial_i$$Then it's like ##\frac{d}{dt} \equiv \vec{v}##, and ##\partial_i \equiv \hat{e}_{(i)}##, with the same velocity components ##v^i##. A bit weird, but cool...

Thanks, I'll see if I can find some basic stuff on differential geometry :smile:

Likes vanhees71
etotheipi said:
Thanks, I'll see if I can find some basic stuff on differential geometry :smile:
Maybe you've already seen this, but the Wikipedia article on Tangent space discusses several alternative definitions. The relevant subsections for the ##\partial_{\mu}## notation are "Definition via derivations", "Tangent vectors as directional derivatives" and "Basis of the tangent space at a point". And the rest of the article gives more context.

Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
DrGreg said:
Maybe you've already seen this, but the Wikipedia article on Tangent space discusses several alternative definitions. The relevant subsections for the ##\partial_{\mu}## notation are "Definition via derivations", "Tangent vectors as directional derivatives" and "Basis of the tangent space at a point". And the rest of the article gives more context.

Thanks! I skimmed those sections and noticed quite a lot of unfamiliar terminology, but I think I could get the gist of it. I'll go through it more carefully tomorrow to unpack it a little more!

Some other notes that I've found that cover the material are on page 31 onward here, and also these notes. The former is a lot more readable as an introduction, whilst I'm struggling more to make sense of the latter. Also I think I should try doing some problems, but the only questions I've been able to find so far are from this document: https://justincfeng.github.io/Tensors_Poor_Man.pdf

Of course, the abstract notation is more cumbersome than the good old Ricci calculus. Maybe it's good to stick to the latter first. On the other hand the mnemonics for how to transform transform from one holonomic (co-)basis to the other is easier in the abstract calculus.

The most straight-forward source to learn both special and general relativity is Landau and Lifshitz vol. 2 ("Classical Field Theory"). It's the best advanced and most modern text on electromagnetism and gravity I know (though it's written quite a long time ago!). It uses exclusively the Ricci calculus.

To learn the abstract tensor notation, I think Misner, Thorne, Wheeler, Gravitation is great.

Likes JD_PM and etotheipi

Related to Understanding Tensor Indices and Conservation

1. What are tensor indices and why are they important in conservation?

Tensor indices are numbers or symbols used to label the components of a tensor, which is a mathematical object used to represent physical quantities. In conservation laws, tensor indices are important because they allow us to track and quantify the flow and conservation of various physical quantities, such as mass, energy, and momentum.

2. How do tensor indices relate to the conservation of physical quantities?

Tensor indices are used to label the components of a tensor, which represents a physical quantity. By understanding the properties and transformations of tensor indices, we can accurately track the conservation of physical quantities in various systems, such as fluid flow or electromagnetic fields.

3. What is the role of tensor indices in understanding the conservation of energy and momentum?

Tensor indices play a crucial role in understanding the conservation of energy and momentum. They allow us to accurately track the flow and transformation of these physical quantities in various systems, such as collisions, fluid flow, and electromagnetic interactions. By understanding tensor indices, we can also identify and analyze the sources and sinks of energy and momentum in a system.

4. How can understanding tensor indices help in the study of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics involves the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) move and interact with their surroundings. Tensor indices are essential in this field as they allow us to track and analyze the flow and conservation of physical quantities, such as mass, energy, and momentum, in a fluid. By understanding tensor indices, we can accurately model and predict the behavior of fluids in various scenarios, such as in pipes, pumps, and turbines.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding tensor indices and conservation?

Yes, there are numerous practical applications of understanding tensor indices and conservation. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. It also has applications in engineering, such as in the design and analysis of fluid systems, electrical circuits, and structural mechanics. Understanding tensor indices and conservation can also aid in the development of new technologies and in solving real-world problems.