Understanding the Equivalence of Two Mechanical Systems

In summary: What you are asking is what happens to the force on the mass if the springs are stretched. To answer that, you need to solve the equation for the force on the mass.In summary, the picture shows how two systems can be equivalent if they have the same force acting on them. The equation for the force on the mass is given by the sum of the forces on the springs.
mech-eng
I cannot understand the mechanical systems in the picture. In the picture a) how can f is scattered equally to M, K1, K2, B1 and B2 ? Where do you know this? How can two systems be equivalent of each other?

In the picture (b) if f is applied, how can the force on M is Ma, a is acceleration.

IMG_1461.JPG

< Mentor Note -- Improved contrast version of UPLOAD >
View attachment 111153

Source: Automatic Control Engineering by Francis H.Raven

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Text is perfectly clear. But I concede it's a bit weird at first: after all the various elements seem to be in parallel.

Perhaps it becomes clearer to you if you write the equations for a simpler case.

E.g. just the two springs: ##\ f = (K_1 + K_2) x\ .\ ## And you see that ##\ Z_{\rm tot} = Z_1 + Z_2 \ ## -- that's why they call it series.

Now add the mass and write the equation linking ##\ f, \ M, \ K_1, \ K_2 \ ## in a similar form.

Once you get that, the ##C_1p## and ##C_2p## are a piece of cake.

Ah, Berk has a copy too ! Or did he just pimp yours :smile:? Mine is a first student edition ( 1961 :rolleyes: ) where it's page 15 with exactly the same text .

Likes berkeman
I suspect that the beam-like appearance of the mass M is part of what is throwing you off. Instead, think of M as more of a block with two springs and two dashpots supporting it. The external force F acts on the block, as well as forces from each spring and dashpot. All that is of interest here is vertical motion, so ignore the horizontal distribution of elements.

Your question about (b) is not grammatically correct English. Remember what Newton's Second Law says: The SUM of forces on the mass is M*a, not that any single force is M*a.

1. What is a mechanical system problem?

A mechanical system problem refers to any issue or malfunction in a mechanical system, which is a collection of components that work together to perform a specific function. These systems can range from simple machines, such as a bicycle, to complex systems, such as an airplane engine.

2. What are some common causes of mechanical system problems?

Some common causes of mechanical system problems include wear and tear, improper maintenance, design flaws, and external factors such as extreme temperatures or harsh environments. Human error can also contribute to mechanical system problems.

3. How can I identify a mechanical system problem?

Identifying a mechanical system problem often involves observing the system's behavior, listening for unusual sounds, and inspecting individual components for damage or wear. It is important to pay attention to any changes in the system's performance or any warning signs, such as leaks or vibrations.

4. What steps should I take to troubleshoot a mechanical system problem?

The first step in troubleshooting a mechanical system problem is to gather information about the system and the issue at hand. This may involve consulting manuals or diagrams, conducting tests or measurements, and checking for any error codes. From there, you can systematically isolate and test individual components to determine the root cause of the problem.

5. When should I seek professional help for a mechanical system problem?

If you are unable to identify or fix the problem on your own, it is best to seek professional help. This is especially important for complex or critical systems, as attempting to fix the problem without proper knowledge or expertise can lead to further damage or safety hazards. Additionally, professional technicians have the necessary tools and experience to accurately diagnose and repair mechanical system problems.