Understanding the given proof of integers - Ring theory

In summary: It is the same method that is usually used to show that two sets ##A## and ##B## are equal. We show ##A\subseteq B## (##a\in A \Longrightarrow a\in B##) and ##B\subseteq A## (##b\in B \Longrightarrow b\in A##) and conclude ##A=B.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
Ring Theory
My interest is on the highlighted part ...

1691205092323.png

1691205125883.png

Now to my question,

in what cases do we have ##mn<(m,n)[m,n]?##

I was able to use my example say,
Let ##m=24## and ##n=30## for example, then
##[m,n]=120## and ##(m,n)=6## in this case we can verify that,
##720=6⋅120## implying that, ##mn≤ (m,n)[m,n]##.

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Now to my question,

This is a strange question, in the very next line the finish the proof, that it is an equality.

martinbn said:
This is a strange question, in the very next line the finish the proof, that it is an equality.
I get your point the last line indicates an equal sign. However, ...the preceding line states that,
"Therefore, it must be less than the greatest common divisor'... on the contrary should it not be 'Therefore, it is equal to the greatest common divisor'? Unless there are cases where the inequality applies.

chwala said:
Homework Statement: see attached
Relevant Equations: Ring Theory

My interest is on the highlighted part ...

View attachment 330141

View attachment 330142

Now to my question,

Never. We have ##\geq## and ##\leq## making it ##=## and completing the proof.

chwala said:
I was able to use my example say,
Let ##m=24## and ##n=30## for example, then
##[m,n]=120## and ##(m,n)=6## in this case we can verify that,
##720=6⋅120## implying that, ##mn≤ (m,n)[m,n]##.
The location with your red mark comes from ##a\leq b \Longrightarrow a\cdot c\leq b\cdot c## in case ##c\geq 0.## With ##a=\dfrac{mn}{[m,n]}\, , \,b=(m,n)## and ##c=[m,n]## we get what is written.

Likes chwala
fresh_42 said:
Never. We have ##\geq## and ##\leq## making it ##=## and completing the proof.The location with your red mark comes from ##a\leq b \Longrightarrow a\cdot c\leq b\cdot c## in case ##c\geq 0.## With ##a=\dfrac{mn}{[m,n]}\, , \,b=(m,n)## and ##c=[m,n]## we get what is written.
I can now see that two proofs that involve the inequalities ##[≤]## and ##[≥]## in general imply ##[=]##, thus concluding the proof. Clear now...

Likes fresh_42
chwala said:
I can now see that two proofs that involve the inequalities ##[≤]## and ##[≥]## in general imply ##[=]##, thus concluding the proof. Clear now...
This is a standard way of proving that two quantities are equal. If you can show that ##a \le b## and that ##a \ge b##, then you can conclude that a = b.

Likes chwala
chwala said:
It is the same method that is usually used to show that two sets ##A## and ##B## are equal. We show ##A\subseteq B## (##a\in A \Longrightarrow a\in B##) and ##B\subseteq A## (##b\in B \Longrightarrow b\in A##) and conclude ##A=B.##

Last edited:
Likes SammyS and chwala

1. What is Ring theory?

Ring theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies the properties and structure of mathematical objects known as rings. A ring is a set of elements with two operations, addition and multiplication, that follow certain rules and properties.

2. What is the importance of understanding the proof of integers in Ring theory?

The proof of integers in Ring theory is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of integers and how they behave under arithmetic operations. It also serves as a basis for more complex mathematical concepts and structures.

3. How is the proof of integers different from other proofs in Ring theory?

The proof of integers is unique in that it deals specifically with the properties of integers, such as closure under addition and multiplication, and the existence of additive and multiplicative identities and inverses. Other proofs in Ring theory may focus on different types of rings and their properties.

4. What are some common misconceptions about the proof of integers in Ring theory?

One common misconception is that the proof of integers only applies to whole numbers. In reality, it also applies to negative numbers and zero. Another misconception is that the proof is only applicable to basic arithmetic operations, when in fact it can be extended to more complex operations and structures.

5. How can understanding the proof of integers in Ring theory be useful in practical applications?

Understanding the proof of integers can be useful in various fields such as computer science, cryptography, and physics. It provides a foundation for understanding number systems and operations, which are essential in these fields. It also allows for the development of efficient algorithms and protocols for solving mathematical problems.