Understanding the Metal Mesh Effect on Microwaves

• Thread starter E92M3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwaves
In summary, the metal mesh on the microwave oven door can block microwaves due to the holes being much smaller than the wavelengths, also known as the "Faraday shield" effect. This allows for some energy to still penetrate through the mesh, but it is not as effective as a solid metal shield. The phenomenon can also be used for sub-wavelength resolution microscopes and is referred to as a "waveguide beyond cutoff."
E92M3
I know that the metal mesh on the microwave oven door can block microwaves because the holes are much smaller than the wavelengths. It is the same reason why some radio telescopes can be made with a mesh. What is this effect called?

Science news on Phys.org
I believe the effect is called "Faraday shield" where a conducting sphere would cause RF to basically turn into currents flowing outside the skin and keeping the rf from penetrating. It works in reverse also, as long as the holes in such a skin is a lot smalled in diameter than the wavelength of the radiation being shielded.

While a mesh with holes much smaller than the wavelength provides very good shielding it still is not as good as a solid metal shield. I read a book on this about 20 years ago and remember it even had formulas to calculate the amount of radiation that still passes through, but unfortunately I can't even remember the name of the book.

skeptic2 said:
While a mesh with holes much smaller than the wavelength provides very good shielding it still is not as good as a solid metal shield. I read a book on this about 20 years ago and remember it even had formulas to calculate the amount of radiation that still passes through, but unfortunately I can't even remember the name of the book.

I think smaller than wavelength holes in a conductor subject to EM radiation of any wavelength can produce plasmons, surface effect conduction that can allow some energy to penetrate even though it is theoretically too small a hole for normal radiation to penetrate.

That effect has been used to make sub-wavelength resolution microscopes, for instance.

E92M3 said:
I know that the metal mesh on the microwave oven door can block microwaves because the holes are much smaller than the wavelengths. It is the same reason why some radio telescopes can be made with a mesh. What is this effect called?

It is called a "waveguide beyond cutoff"

microwaveguru said:

Thanks, I think it may have.

microwaveguru said:

Sub-wavelength waveguide?

Here is one discussion of holes in shielding material, like the holes in microwave oven front window shield:

http://www.interferencetechnology.com/technologies/shielding/forums.html?tx_mmforum_pi1%5Baction%5D=list_post&tx_mmforum_pi1%5Btid%5D=105

1. How do microwaves work?

Microwaves work by emitting electromagnetic radiation at a specific frequency that causes water molecules in food to vibrate, creating heat. This heat is what cooks the food.

2. Are microwaves safe to use?

Yes, microwaves are safe to use. They emit non-ionizing radiation, which is not powerful enough to damage DNA or cause harm to humans. However, it is important to follow safety guidelines and avoid standing too close to the microwave while it is in use.

3. Can microwaves cook all types of food?

Microwaves are best suited for heating and cooking food that is high in water content, such as vegetables, soups, and meats. Foods that are low in water content, such as bread and pastries, may not cook as well in a microwave.

4. Do microwaves affect the nutritional value of food?

Microwaves can affect the nutritional value of food, but the extent of this impact depends on the cooking time and method. Overcooking or cooking at high temperatures can cause some nutrients to break down, but microwaves generally preserve more nutrients compared to traditional cooking methods.

5. Can microwaves cause cancer?

There is no evidence to suggest that microwaves can cause cancer. The type of radiation emitted by microwaves is non-ionizing and does not have enough energy to damage cells or DNA. Research studies have not found a link between microwave use and an increased risk of cancer.