Understanding the or in Set Theory

In summary, the LHS statement is true if each element of the set is true, but the RHS statement is not true.
A.MHF

Homework Statement

So I was doing this problem in Munkres's Topology book:

Determine whether the statement is true or false, If a double implication fails, determine whether one or the other of the possible implications holds:

A ⊂ B or A ⊂ C ⇔ A ⊂ ( B ∪ C )

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the ⇒ direction is true because (x∈A→x∈B or x∈A→x∈C)⇒(x∈A→(x∈B or x∈C))
For the other direction, I thought at first that it's true, but I checked some online answers and what I found is it's false. I thought it's true because what I had in mind is the word "or" stands for "either A is a subset of B, or A is a subset of C, or both". And if A is a subset of the union of B and C, then it's implied that A is a subset of at least one of them. What am I getting wrong?

This is the answer that I found online:

If the LHS statement is true then for each
latex.png
we have that
latex.png
and so
latex.png
, i.e.
latex.png
. The other direction is not correct though. Consider the sets
latex.png
then
latex.png
but it is not true that
latex.png

Physics news on Phys.org
A.MHF said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the statement is true or false, If a double implication fails, determine whether one or the other of the possible implications holds:

Homework Equations

-

I know that the ⇒ direction is true because (x∈A→x∈B or x∈A→x∈C)⇒(x∈A→(x∈B or x∈C))
For the other direction, I thought at first that it's true, but I checked some online answers and what I found is it's false. I thought it's true because what I had in mind is the word "or" stands for "either A is a subset of B, or A is a subset of C, or both". And if A is a subset of the union of B and C, then it's implied that A is a subset of at least one of them. What am I getting wrong?

latex.png
we have that
latex.png
and so
latex.png
, i.e.
latex.png
latex.png
then
latex.png
but it is not true that
latex.png
The example shows that this is wrong: "And if A is a subset of the union of B and C, then it's implied that A is a subset of at least one of them."
A={1,3}⊂ B∪C={1,2,3,4}, but clearly A is not a subset of either B or C.

venn.jpg

Likes A.MHF
A.MHF said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

-

Your problem isn't in misunderstanding of the word "or" (as implied by your thread title). The counterexample given below clearly shows that A can be contained in ##B \cup C## without A being a subset of either of the other sets.

Note that in the example, one element of A is contained in B, and the other element of A is contained in C, but A is not a subset of either B or C.
A.MHF said:

latex.png
we have that
latex.png
and so
latex.png
, i.e.
latex.png
latex.png
then
latex.png
but it is not true that
latex.png

Likes A.MHF
Oh, I don't how I missed that, feel stupid for asking haha.
Thanks.

1. What does the word "or" mean in set theory?

In set theory, the word "or" is used to represent the union of two sets. This means that the resulting set contains all elements that are in at least one of the original sets.

2. How is the word "or" used in conjunction with other set operations?

In set theory, the word "or" can be used in combination with other set operations, such as intersection and complement. For example, the union of two sets A and B can be written as A ∪ B.

3. What is the difference between "or" and "and" in set theory?

In set theory, "or" and "and" are two different operations. "Or" represents the union of two sets, while "and" represents the intersection of two sets. "Or" includes all elements that are in at least one of the sets, while "and" includes only elements that are in both sets.

4. Can the word "or" be used to combine more than two sets?

Yes, the word "or" can be used to combine any number of sets. For example, the union of three sets A, B, and C can be written as A ∪ B ∪ C.

5. How is the word "or" represented in set notation?

In set notation, the word "or" is represented by the symbol ∪. This symbol is placed between two sets to indicate the union operation.