Understanding the PMNS matrix?

• Thread starter Doofy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the MNS/PMNS matrix that governs neutrino oscillation is parameterized by a mixing matrix (with s_{ij}, c_{ij} terms) and two phases (e^{i\delta} and e^{i\alpha}). The e^{i\delta} term allows for possible CP violation, while the e^{i\alpha} term is related to the Majorana nature of neutrinos. However, there is limited information available on the derivation of this matrix, despite its importance in experiments and research.
Doofy
I have been trying to find out about the MNS / PMNS matrix that governs neutrino oscillation:

[tex] \left( \begin{array}{c} \nu_{e} \\ \nu_{\mu} \\ \nu_{\tau} \end{array} \right) = \left( \begin{array}{ccc} U_{e1} & U_{e2} & U_{e3} \\ U_{\mu 1} & U_{\mu 2} & U_{\mu 3} \\ U_{\tau 1} & U_{\tau 2} & U_{\tau 3} \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}{c} \nu_{1} \\ \nu_{2} \\ \nu_{3} \end{array} \right) [/tex]

I am aware that there is more than one parameterization exists, but the most common one seems to be the one stated on wikipedia:

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc} c_{12}c_{13} & s_{12}c_{13} & s_{13}e^{-i\delta} \\ -s_{12}c_{23} -c_{12}s_{23}s_{13}e^{-i\delta} & c_{12}c_{23}-s_{12}s_{23}s_{13}e^{-i\delta} & s_{23}c_{13} \\ s_{12}s_{23} -c_{12}c_{23}s_{13}e^{-i\delta} & -c_{12}s_{23} - s_{12}c_{23}s_{13}e^{-i\delta} & c_{23}c_{13} \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}{ccc} e^{i\alpha_{1}/2} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & e^{i\alpha_{2}/2} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

My problem is that every paper, every website, every textbook I have consulted all just seem to state that this is what the matrix looks like, but offer no derivation / explanation of where it comes from. I feel uncomfortable just blindly accepting this.

The [itex]s_{ij}, c_{ij}[/itex] parts I am fine with, they are just abbreviations for [itex]sin\theta_{ij}, cos\theta_{ij}[/itex] and come from having multiplied together rotation matrices for rotations around 3 axes. Nothing unusual there.

My issue is with the [itex]e^{i\delta}[/itex] and [itex]e^{i\alpha}[/itex] parts. I am aware that the [itex]e^{i\delta}[/itex] part has something to do with allowing for possible CP violation, but I need to understand how it got there as it means very little to me at this moment.
I know even less about the [itex]e^{i\alpha}[/itex] parts - something to do with the possible Majorana-ness of neutrinos?

I'm so surprised by how little information there is out there on this little topic, especially given the amount of money being spent on experiments to measure these matrix elements. What's going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the PMNS matrix?

The PMNS matrix, also known as the Pontecorvo–Maki–Nakagawa–Sakata matrix, is a unitary matrix used to describe the mixing of neutrinos. It is named after the physicists who first proposed it in the 1960s.

Why is understanding the PMNS matrix important?

Understanding the PMNS matrix is important because it helps us understand the behavior of neutrinos, which are fundamental particles that have unique properties and interactions with other particles. The PMNS matrix is also crucial for making predictions and calculations in particle physics experiments.

How does the PMNS matrix work?

The PMNS matrix is a 3x3 matrix that relates the three "flavors" of neutrinos (electron, muon, and tau) to the three "mass states" of neutrinos. It contains four parameters, known as mixing angles and a complex phase, that determine the probabilities of neutrinos changing from one flavor to another.

What is the significance of the mixing angles in the PMNS matrix?

The mixing angles in the PMNS matrix represent the probability of a neutrino changing from one flavor to another. These angles have been measured experimentally and provide important information about the properties of neutrinos, such as their masses and how they interact with other particles.

How is the PMNS matrix related to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The PMNS matrix is an important part of the Standard Model of particle physics, which is the current theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. The PMNS matrix is used to explain the phenomenon of neutrino oscillations, which is not accounted for in the original Standard Model.