Understanding the property of the Comoving Coordinate

In summary, the comoving coordinate described in Weinberg's Cosmology allows for a particle to remain at rest and is given by the proper distance, s = a(t)x, where x is the comoving coordinate. However, taking the time derivative shows that there is a peculiar velocity, v_p = a(t)x_dot, which can be ignored if the comoving distance is much larger than the peculiar velocity. This assumption may not be accurate for all objects, as there is a distribution of peculiar velocities.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
In Weinberg's Cosmology, the comoving coordinate described as "A particle at rest in these coordinates will, therefore, stay at rest, so these are co-moving coordinates"

Now when we write the proper distance

##s = a(t)\chi## where ##\chi## is the comoving coordinate.

Taking the time derivative

$$v =\frac{ds}{dt} = \dot{a(t)}\chi + a(t)\dot{\chi}$$

Here ##V_H = \dot{a(t)}\chi## which is due to Hubble flow and ##v_p= a(t)\dot{\chi}## is called the peculiar velocity. So according to the above description (the italic sentence), a particle will not stay at rest in these coordinates. In this sense, the comoving coordinates are not perfect (?)

To avoid this I guess we are assuming large comoving distances so that ##V_H \gg v_p##, so that we can ignore the peculiar velocity?

Space news on Phys.org
If a particle is at rest in the comoving coordinates, ##\chi## is constant by definition. Thus its derivative is zero, and there is no peculiar velocity.

But observationally there's always peculiar velocity? I mean yes in the definition of the comoving coordinate we set ##\dot{\chi} = 0## but in the definition of the peculiar velocity we don't (##\dot{\chi} \ne 0##) . Is not this a contradictory. And I reccomended this solution.
"To avoid this I guess we are assuming large comoving distances so that ##V_H \gg v_p##, so that we can ignore the peculiar velocity? "

More likely we are assuming ##\chi \gg \dot{\chi}## ?

Arman777 said:
But observationally there's always peculiar velocity? I mean yes in the definition of the comoving coordinate we set ##\dot{\chi} = 0## but in the definition of the peculiar velocity we don't (##\dot{\chi} \ne 0##) . Is not this a contradictory.

Observationally of what? A comoving observer by definition has zero peculiar velocity. If you observe something that has non-zero peculiar velocity it is just not a comoving object.

More likely we are assuming ##\chi \gg \dot{\chi}## ?

This makes no sense, ##\chi## and ##\dot\chi## have different dimensions so you cannot compare them.

Orodruin said:
Observationally of what?
Peculiar velocity. There's a article about it https://arxiv.org/abs/1405.0105
Orodruin said:
This makes no sense, χχ\chi and ˙χχ˙\dot\chi have different dimensions so you cannot compare them.
Yes I should have said ##V_H \gg v_p## I guess
Orodruin said:
If you observe something that has non-zero peculiar velocity it is just not a comoving object.
Yes that's kind of my point. If every object has peculiar velocity then every object is not a comoving object. But we are making an approximation so that they become comoving, right ?

Arman777 said:
Peculiar velocity. There's a article about it https://arxiv.org/abs/1405.0105
I think you are misunderstanding: A comoving observer by definition has zero peculiar velocity. That does not mean that any particular observer must be a comoving observer or that galaxies need to be comoving. There is nothing here that can be observationally contradicted by seeing a galaxy that is not comoving.

Arman777 said:
If every object has peculiar velocity then every object is not a comoving object. But we are making an approximation so that they become comoving, right ?
No. It may be a good approximation for some objects and a bad approximation for some. In general there is going to be some distribution and that distribution will have some spread to it making more or less objects be close to comoving or not. For example, it is pretty clear that we are not comoving due to the dipole anisotropy in the CMB.

Likes Arman777 and PeroK
Thanks, I understand it

1. What is the Comoving Coordinate?

The Comoving Coordinate is a coordinate system used in cosmology to describe the position and movement of objects in the universe. It takes into account the expansion of the universe and allows for a more accurate understanding of the large-scale structure of the universe.

2. How is the Comoving Coordinate different from other coordinate systems?

The Comoving Coordinate differs from other coordinate systems, such as the Cartesian coordinate system, in that it takes into account the expansion of the universe. This means that the distances between objects in the Comoving Coordinate are not affected by the expansion, unlike in other coordinate systems.

3. Why is the Comoving Coordinate important in cosmology?

The Comoving Coordinate is important in cosmology because it allows scientists to accurately study the large-scale structure of the universe. It also helps to account for the effects of the expansion of the universe on the positions and movements of objects.

4. How is the Comoving Coordinate related to the Hubble flow?

The Hubble flow is the phenomenon of the expansion of the universe, where the further away an object is, the faster it appears to be moving away from us. The Comoving Coordinate takes this into account and allows for a more accurate understanding of the Hubble flow and its effects on the universe.

5. Can the Comoving Coordinate be applied to all objects in the universe?

Yes, the Comoving Coordinate can be applied to all objects in the universe, regardless of their distance or location. This is because it is a relative coordinate system that takes into account the expansion of the universe and allows for a consistent understanding of the positions and movements of objects on a large scale.