Understanding the Universe: Exploring Perception and Reality in Science

• Thread starter Physics-Learner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation is about the limitations of human perception and knowledge in understanding the universe and the possibility of a reality beyond our understanding. The example of 2-dimensional beings living on a sphere is used to illustrate how our perception may not align with what actually exists. The participants also discuss the role of subjectivity and the potential of a higher dimensional aspect to our universe. There is a discussion about the limitations of science and the possibility of a higher power or purpose.
Physics-Learner said:
i don't see time as that sort of dimension. time is just as necessary for a flatlander to move in his world, as it is a volume lander to move in our world. it is still an unknown to me, but i do not think it is the 4th dimension that einstein thinks of it as.
Imo, too many people confuse dimensionality with with the physical realities it is used to frame and measure. Dimensions themselves can be applied in different ways with differing results, as the relativity of spacetime curvature theory demonstrates. Just because a certain set of dimensions seem to have a good "fit" with what they are used to measure doesn't mean that they exist "out there" as part of the physicalities.

time and motion are tied together in some way, but it may be beyond our ability to understand it at its most basic level.
Imo, motion is the product of energy (kinetic). Time is a dimension insofar as it is used to compare different instances of motion. A clock is any moving system with regular-defined intervals that can be compared with other instances of of motion. You are right that simultaneity is central to the idea of time (i.e. synchronized clocks) and this is where I believe Einstein starts in his writing on time before getting into the de-synchronization that occurs due to speed and gravity. Sorry, I should be able to cite the text b/c it's online but I can't remember the title now.

Space news on Phys.org
hi brainstorm,

did not want you to think i was ignoring you. just simply had nothing to comment on, or add to, to your last post.

Information transfer requires energy, hence, is not exempt from the 'c' rule.