Understanding the vector product

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in understanding the cross-product of two vectors in a plane and why it yields a vector perpendicular to the two. The magnitude equation and the right hand rule are used to explain this concept. The vector components of i and j are also mentioned, with the rule for vector product being demonstrated to show that i x j = (-j x i) = k.
Anden

Homework Statement

I've recently encountered the cross-product while studying mathematics. I'm studying on my own so it has been quite difficult to get a proper answer, which is why I'm posting my question here.
What I've difficulties understanding is why the vector product of two vectors in a plane yields a vector perpendicular to the two.
I've also difficulties with why i x j = (-j x i) = k

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea why this is, the scalar product is quite easy to understand in comparison. I'm using "University Physics" for my studies, which says that I must combine the magnitude equation (C = ABsin(phi)), A x B = -B x A and the right hand rule.

Now from what I can gather from the magnitude equation, the magnitude of C is equal to the area of the parallellogram formed by A and B, why is this so?

A and B are vectors in a plane, and C is the resultant vector from the vector product.

I need someone to give me a hint on this one, to get me going

Physics news on Phys.org
the vector i is simply (1,0,0) and j is (0,1,0).
the rule for vector product is: say you have two vectors: x=(a,b,c) and y=(d,e,f)
then the vector product is= ((bf-ce) , - (af-cd), (ae-bd))
do this for i x j and you will see it equals (-jxi)=k
(remember k=(0,0,1))

Wow, I had completely forgotten about using the vector components. :P It makes perfect sense now, when I did as you described. Thanks for your help ;)

What is the vector product?

The vector product, also known as the cross product, is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to create a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is denoted by the symbol "x".

How is the vector product calculated?

The vector product is calculated using the right-hand rule, which involves taking the cross product of the magnitudes of the two vectors, multiplying them, and then multiplying by the sine of the angle between the two vectors. The result is a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

What is the difference between the vector product and the scalar product?

The vector product results in a vector, while the scalar product results in a scalar. Additionally, the vector product is only defined in three-dimensional space, while the scalar product can be calculated in any number of dimensions.

What are some real-world applications of the vector product?

The vector product has many applications in physics and engineering, including calculating torque in rotational motion, determining the direction of magnetic fields, and calculating forces in three-dimensional systems.

What are some common misconceptions about the vector product?

One common misconception is that the vector product is commutative, meaning that the order of the vectors does not matter. In reality, the vector product is anti-commutative, meaning that changing the order of the vectors results in a vector with the opposite direction. Another misconception is that the vector product can be used to calculate the angle between two vectors, when in fact it only gives information about the perpendicularity between the vectors.