Understanding Translation Symbology in Scientific Formulas: A Homestudy Guide

• Thread starter Scott S
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Translation
In summary, the conversation is about understanding the symbology in attached pictures related to formulas 13, 14, and 15. The symbols discussed include Y and X for planar coordinates, n for number of points, σβ for standard error of angle observation, σs for standard error of distance observation, Σ for sum in parenthesis, and Si for sum of distances. The conversation also addressed confusion about the use of parentheses and the correct values for Xn and Xi-1 in the formulas.
Scott S
Sorry, 30 years since college and I wasn't awake all the time.
I'm trying to translate the symbology in the attached pics.
Some of the super/subscripts are throwing me off in formulae 13, 14 and 15.

Y and X = planar coordinates of points.
n = number of points.
σβ = standard error of angle observation.
σs = standard error of distance observation.
Σ = the sum in parenthesis.
Si = sum of distances.

The parenthesis are the problems.
Would Xn equal the last coordinate and Xi-1 each proceeding coordinate, so that I should sum the final minus each proceeding X?
traverse closure 1.jpg

The same formulae in 3-91.
traverse closure 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Scott S said:
Sorry, 30 years since college and I wasn't awake all the time.
I'm trying to translate the symbology in the attached pics.
Some of the super/subscripts are throwing me off in formulae 13, 14 and 15.

Y and X = planar coordinates of points.
n = number of points.
σβ = standard error of angle observation.
σs = standard error of distance observation.
Σ = the sum in parenthesis.
Si = sum of distances.

The parenthesis are the problems.
Would Xn equal the last coordinate and Xi-1 each proceeding coordinate, so that I should sum the final minus each proceeding X?
View attachment 96281

The same formulae in 3-91.
View attachment 96282

For example:
[tex] \begin{array}{l}\sum_{i=1}^n \left( \frac{X_i - X_{i-1}}{S_i} \right)^2\\
= \left(\frac{X_1-X_0}{S_1}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{X_2 - X_1}{S_2}\right)^2 + \cdots + \left( \frac{X_n - X_{n-1}}{S_n}\right)^2
\end{array}[/tex]
Is that what you were uncertain about?

Yes!
Thank you.

Related to Understanding Translation Symbology in Scientific Formulas: A Homestudy Guide

What is homestudy translation help?

Homestudy translation help refers to resources and services that assist individuals with translating documents or materials on their own, typically from a foreign language into their native language.

Who can benefit from homestudy translation help?

Anyone who needs to translate documents or materials, but prefers to do so independently, can benefit from homestudy translation help. This can include students, professionals, and individuals who are learning a new language.

What types of materials can be translated with homestudy translation help?

Homestudy translation help can be used for a variety of materials, such as written documents, audio recordings, and video content. It can also be used for both personal and professional purposes.

What are the advantages of using homestudy translation help?

One of the main advantages of homestudy translation help is the flexibility and convenience it offers. It allows individuals to work at their own pace and on their own schedule. It also tends to be more affordable than hiring a professional translator.

What are some tips for using homestudy translation help effectively?

Some tips for using homestudy translation help effectively include starting with materials that are at your current level of proficiency, utilizing additional resources such as dictionaries or online translation tools, and seeking feedback from native speakers to improve your translations.