Understanding Vacuum Photocell: Explanation, Polarities, and Cut-off Potential

• Thread starter Karimz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vacuum
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a Vacuum Photocell and its functioning in terms of polarity and the "cut-off potential" or "stopping potential". The process involves a plate and a ring in a vacuum, with the plate being negatively charged and the ring being positively charged. The UV radiation extracts electrons from the plate, which are then absorbed by the positively charged ring, completing a circuit. Reversing the polarities will make the cell less sensitive, and the electrons will fall back to the anode unless they have enough energy to escape. The "cut-off potential" refers to the minimum energy required for the electrons to be released from the positively charged electrode.
Karimz
Hello. This is actually my first post in these forums and I've never really thought of posing my questions online but I've decided to give it a try.

Well about the Vacuum Photocell. I know what the setup looks like and all, but there's one thing I don't get. I'm going to say everything I know in here, so please feel free to correct me: There's a plate and a ring in the photocell surrounded by vacuum. Now if the plate is connected to the -ve terminal of a generator, it will be the -vely charged cathode while the ring becomes relatively positively charged. Supposing the UV radiation is of enough energy to extract the electrons from the plate, these electrons which leave the plate will be absorbed by the +vely charged ring and a complete circuit is achieved. What if the polarities are reversed though? What happens? The plate becomes +vely charged while the ring is now -vely charged. So now the radiation will extract electrons from this +ve plate which will be attracted/absorbed again by the plate when they leave it? Moreover, I don't really get the "cut-off potential" concept. What is really going on in the photocell, in other words? Have I misunderstood the whole concept?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You've got it about right. Reversing the polarity will make the cell much less sensitive, but it should still work.

The electrons near the surface are held in a potential well which defines the photoelectric 'work function'. To free the electron requires a certain minimum energy, called the work function ( I think ). Any energy left over will contribute to the electrons kinetic energy outside the material.

It's explained here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_function

and

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect

Well yea I know about the work function and Kinetic energy left and all.. but my question is when the polarities are reversed, the electrons leaving the plate would go where? How is the cut-off potential reached? Can you define it for me please?

When the polarity is reversed, you are trying release electrons from a postively charged electrode , so the effective work function is greater.

A released electron will fall back to the anode unless it has enough energy to escape.

I don't know what 'cut-off' voltage you mean.

If you reverse the power source, like Mentz says, "will make the cell much less sensitive". The plate on which the light falls on has a larger area which will give it a greater chance of being struck by an incoming photon. As to 'cut-off' could you be meaning saturation?

I'm not sure but perhaps it's also called the "stopping potential" ? Also, when polarities are reversed, wouldn't it be a good thing if the electron comes back to the anode? The polarities are reversed so the flow of the current should also be opposite to what it was, meaning into that +ve plate. The ring would reject the electron since it repels it anyway, no ?

Karimz is right.
If the electron can't leave the anode, no current will flow. In fact I don't think it will work at all unless light falls on the cathode.

Well at some point an electron does leave the anode but it's attracted back to it when it leaves. But the idea that the polarities were reversed makes the anode a cathode now since it's role would be to receive electrons not lose them. So when it does lose them and attracts them again that's considered as a current flow no ?

1. What is a vacuum photocell?

A vacuum photocell is a device that uses the photoelectric effect to convert light energy into electrical energy. It consists of a vacuum tube with two electrodes - a cathode and an anode - and a photosensitive material, such as a metal or semiconductor, between them. When light is shone onto the photosensitive material, it emits electrons which are then collected by the anode, creating an electric current.

2. How does a vacuum photocell work?

A vacuum photocell works by using the photoelectric effect, which is the emission of electrons from a material when light is shone onto it. The photosensitive material in the vacuum photocell absorbs the photons from the incident light, causing the electrons to be released from the material. These electrons are then collected by the anode, creating an electric current.

3. What are the polarities in a vacuum photocell?

The polarities in a vacuum photocell refer to the positive and negative charges within the device. The cathode, which is the negative electrode, emits the electrons, while the anode, which is the positive electrode, collects the electrons. This creates a flow of current from the cathode to the anode.

4. What is the cut-off potential in a vacuum photocell?

The cut-off potential in a vacuum photocell is the minimum potential difference between the cathode and anode required to stop the flow of electrons. It is determined by the work function of the photosensitive material and the energy of the incident light. If the potential difference is below the cut-off potential, no electrons will be emitted and no current will flow.

5. What is the significance of the cut-off potential in a vacuum photocell?

The cut-off potential is significant because it provides a threshold for the operation of a vacuum photocell. It determines the minimum amount of energy needed from the incident light to generate a current, and it also allows for control over the sensitivity of the device. By adjusting the potential difference, the cut-off potential can be changed, allowing for a wider range of light intensities to be detected by the vacuum photocell.