Understanding Wave Displacement: Frequency, Wavelength, and Speed Calculation

• Thread starter Dark Visitor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    parts Wave
In summary, the displacement of a wave traveling in the positive x-direction is y(x,t) = (3.5 cm)cos(2.7x - 124t), where x is in m and t is in sec. The frequency of the wave is 19.74 Hz, the wavelength is 2.33 m, and the speed is 45.99 m/s. These values are linked by the equation v = λf. The values were found by solving for the variables in the equation y(x,t) = Acos((2π/λ)x ± (2π/T)t).
Dark Visitor
The displacement of a wave traveling in the positive x-direction is y(x,t) = (3.5 cm)cos(2.7x - 124t), where x is in m and t is in sec. What are the (a) frequency, (b) wavelength (in m), and (c) speed (in m/s) of this wave?

I don't know how to do this problem at all. I could use some help beginning and solving this problem. Thanks. I don't know how to do harmonics very well.

Physics news on Phys.org
For starters, what do you know about frequency, wavelength, and speed in general?

They are all linked in the equation:

v = [tex]\lambda[/tex]f

The only thing I don't get is how to find any of them if they are all linked with one equation.

Well, after doing the math (considering I did this right, or I hope I did), I got:

y(x,t) = Acos((2[tex]\pi[/tex]/[tex]\lambda[/tex])x [tex]\pm[/tex] (2[tex]\pi[/tex]/T)t)

which led me to

(a): 124 = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]/T
T = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]/124 = .05067

f = 1/T = 1/.05067 = 19.74

(b): 2.7 = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]/[tex]\lambda[/tex]
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]/2.7 = 2.33 m

(c): v = [tex]\lambda[/tex]f
v = (2.33 m)(19.74) = 45.99 m/s

Please tell me if and where I am wrong, or tell me if that is correct. Bold are the answers.

That's what I got!

Well, do you think we are right? I sure as heck hope so!

Haha, yeah, we're right.

Related to Understanding Wave Displacement: Frequency, Wavelength, and Speed Calculation

1. What is wave displacement?

Wave displacement refers to the distance that a wave travels from its equilibrium position. It is usually measured as the distance from the peak or crest of the wave to its trough or lowest point.

2. What is frequency in relation to wave displacement?

Frequency is the number of complete waves that pass a given point in a certain amount of time. It is measured in hertz (Hz) and is directly related to wave displacement. As the frequency increases, the distance between each wave decreases, resulting in a shorter wavelength.

3. How is wavelength calculated?

Wavelength is calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its frequency. The speed of a wave is typically given in meters per second (m/s) and the frequency is measured in hertz (Hz). The resulting unit for wavelength is meters (m).

4. What is the relationship between wave displacement and speed?

The relationship between wave displacement and speed is known as the wave speed equation, which states that speed = frequency x wavelength. This means that as the frequency or wavelength of a wave increases, its speed also increases.

5. How can wave displacement be measured?

Wave displacement can be measured using various instruments such as rulers, laser interferometers, or photodiodes. These instruments can accurately measure the distance between the peak and trough of a wave and calculate the displacement.