Understanding Wave Reflection on a Fixed Boundary

In summary, the conversation discussed the behavior of a string attached to a wall and the resulting reflected wave. The question was why the reflected wave is "-f(-x-vt)" instead of "-f(x+vt)". The explanation given was that the negative signs in the formula cause the wave to move in the same direction as the original wave, but with an inverted shape. This helped clarify the concept for the person asking the question.
simon96c
Hello everyone,
I am currently studying traveling waves and reflection but I didn't understand a part of my last lesson.
If we consider a string with a loose end and the other end attached to a wall we expect the string to have zero displacement at the wall and to have a reflected wave "-f(-x-vt)" (given that the incident wave is f(x-vt) ).
My question is probably really silly, but I can't understand why the reflected wave is "-f(-x-vt)" and not "-f(x+vt)" (travelling in the other direction, with inverted amplitude).

I hope I chose the right section since this is my first post here!
Thanks in advance to anyone who will reply to this (probably) really silly question!

Science news on Phys.org
Lets say that the wave has the shape that matches the side profile of a shoe. The -f flips the profile up-side-down. The -x changes the direction the wave is moving. But we still want the wave to move toe first, so the -vt has to stay -vt.

Hope that helps.

That helped a lot!
Thank you very much for your reply.

Related to Understanding Wave Reflection on a Fixed Boundary

What is wave reflection on a hard wall?

Wave reflection on a hard wall is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave traveling through a medium hits a solid surface and bounces back. This results in an inverted wave being produced, with the same frequency and wavelength as the original wave.

What causes wave reflection on a hard wall?

Wave reflection on a hard wall is caused by the change in medium when a wave hits a solid surface. The sudden change in density and stiffness of the medium causes the wave to bounce back.

What happens to the energy of a wave when it reflects off a hard wall?

The energy of a wave is conserved during reflection on a hard wall. This means that the total energy of the reflected wave is equal to the total energy of the original wave.

How does the angle of incidence affect wave reflection on a hard wall?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle between the incoming wave and the surface of the wall, determines the angle at which the wave will reflect. According to the law of reflection, the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection.

What are some real-life applications of wave reflection on a hard wall?

Wave reflection on a hard wall is used in various applications, such as sonar technology, where sound waves are reflected off underwater objects to detect their location. It is also used in architecture and engineering for the design of acoustic barriers and noise reduction systems.