Understanding Wormholes & Black Holes: An Exploration by Ed

In summary: Six Easy Pieces by Richard FeynmanThis is a great book that covers a lot of physics concepts in a very concise way. It's a great reference book, too.
EdLeMarchant
A classic topic, however I am new to the physics realm and i would like some help into understanding it. I have just finished reading "An Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman "A History Of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. And across these books i could not find a suitable explanation as to how black holes have the capability of creating a shortcut through space. A theory i came up with this morning is that the only way one can travel through said shortcut, they must travel/enter through the 4th dimension. Please help me understand this. Recommendations to Web links and Books with explanations would be nice!

Thank you. Ed

Physics news on Phys.org
EdLeMarchant said:
A classic topic, however I am new to the physics realm and i would like some help into understanding it. I have just finished reading "An Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman "A History Of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. And across these books i could not find a suitable explanation as to how black holes have the capability of creating a shortcut through space. A theory i came up with this morning is that the only way one can travel through said shortcut, they must travel/enter through the 4th dimension. Please help me understand this. Recommendations to Web links and Books with explanations would be nice!

Thank you. Ed

This isn't really Quantum Physics. It's General Relativity. Start by looking up the Einstein-Rosen bridge on Wikipedia if you have further questions about it then try asking in the GR subfoum.

I don't think there is physical evidence for anything such as a wormhole. They are a creation of the imagination of science fiction writers.

Dr. Courtney said:
I don't think there is physical evidence for anything such as a wormhole. They are a creation of the imagination of science fiction writers.

It was actually Wheeler who first used the term 'wormhole'. We still have no evidence for the exotic matter required to create one at macroscopic scale.

In some way the space inside a black hole can be considered an entirely different "universe" and the black hole is a one-way tunnel between ours and the other "universe".

Other more "practical" two-way wormholes could exist in special types of spacetime geometries, but I think they would not involve black holes.

EdLeMarchant said:
across these books i could not find a suitable explanation as to how black holes have the capability of creating a shortcut through space.

They don't. There is an idealized solution to the Einstein Field Equation, which describes an "eternal" black hole (one that exists forever, alone in the universe, and never gains or loses any mass), and includes a sort of "wormhole"; but nothing can pass through the wormhole (since doing so would require moving faster than light).

In any real black hole, formed by gravitational collapse of matter, there is no "wormhole" region in the solution at all, so those features of the idealized solution I described above don't apply anyway.

1. What are wormholes and black holes?

Wormholes and black holes are two types of highly complex and mysterious phenomena in space. A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel-like structure that connects two distant points in the universe, while a black hole is a region of space with extremely strong gravitational pull that nothing, not even light, can escape from.

2. How are wormholes and black holes formed?

Wormholes and black holes are formed through different processes. Black holes are formed when a massive star collapses in on itself, creating a singularity with infinite density and strong gravitational pull. Wormholes, on the other hand, are purely theoretical and their formation is still unknown.

3. Can we travel through wormholes or black holes?

It is currently not possible to travel through either wormholes or black holes. While some scientists have theorized about the potential for wormholes to act as shortcuts for interstellar travel, the immense gravitational pull and intense radiation of black holes would make it impossible for any object to survive a journey through them.

4. What is the connection between wormholes and time travel?

Wormholes have often been associated with the concept of time travel due to their potential to connect two distant points in space. However, the idea of using wormholes for time travel is purely theoretical and has not been scientifically proven. Furthermore, the concept of time is complex and there are still many unknowns about its relation to space and wormholes.

5. How do scientists study and explore wormholes and black holes?

Scientists study and explore wormholes and black holes through various methods, including theoretical calculations, computer simulations, and observations from telescopes and other space-based instruments. However, due to the extremely complex and elusive nature of these phenomena, there is still much to be discovered and understood about them.