Unfolding Earth - my contribution

• Thread starter dgtech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, the conversation discusses a low distortion linear projection map of the continental plates, found on a website. The map shows the actual continents, including the parts below sea level, and provides a different perspective on the north atlantic and arctic region. It is mentioned that people often ignore the underwater parts of continents and that most maps are highly distorted. The map was created to address the misconception that the western shore of America was once connected to Asia and Australia, and it proves that all continents, except Antarctica, are still partially connected. The speaker also mentions that the sunken landmasses east of Australia fit perfectly with South America and can be traced using striation marks on the oceanic crust.
dgtech
I was recently looking for low distortion linear projection map of the continental plates, and I found some pretty good maps from these guys here: http://www.win.tue.nl/~vanwijk/myriahedral/

However not them, not anyone else seems to have bothered to make a projection of the actual continents, they just did for the parts of them that are above the ocean, ignoring everything beneath.Here is the map, nothing fancy or high-res, original image taken from NOAA's "Age of the oceanic lithosphere" map, of which of course I do not take credit :)

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/903/projection.jpg

Brings a totally different perspective, doesn't it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Intersting. It particularly gives a difffernt perspective on the north atlantic and arctic region.

IMO people often ignore the parts of the continents that are below ocean level, almost like they don't exist. Another misconception building factor is that most of the maps we use are very high in distortion, so people lose the actual scale of things.

I have done this map mostly to address all the people who deny the concept that the western shore of America was once connected to Asia and Australia. This map proves that information is wrong, meaning they didn't used to be connected, all continental masses besides Antarctica are still partially connected. Also the mostly sunken landmasses east of Australia are a perfect fit to south America, and if you follow the striation marks left on the oceanic crust you can literally trace how and where they connect.

1. What is the concept of "Unfolding Earth"?

The concept of "Unfolding Earth" refers to the continuous changes and evolution of our planet, including its physical, biological, and geological processes. It also encompasses the impact of human activities on the Earth and how we can contribute to its sustainable development.

2. What is your contribution to "Unfolding Earth"?

My contribution to "Unfolding Earth" is my research and study on a specific aspect of the Earth's evolution, such as climate change, biodiversity loss, or geological events. I also aim to share my findings and educate others about the importance of understanding and preserving our planet.

3. How does "Unfolding Earth" relate to current environmental issues?

"Unfolding Earth" is directly related to current environmental issues as it focuses on the changes and challenges our planet is facing, such as pollution, deforestation, and global warming. By studying and understanding these issues, we can work towards finding solutions and mitigating their impact on the Earth.

4. What are some of the key findings of "Unfolding Earth"?

Some key findings of "Unfolding Earth" include the acceleration of climate change, the loss of biodiversity, and the depletion of natural resources. These findings highlight the urgent need for sustainable practices and conservation efforts to protect our planet and its inhabitants.

5. How can I contribute to "Unfolding Earth"?

There are many ways to contribute to "Unfolding Earth," such as reducing your carbon footprint, volunteering for environmental organizations, supporting sustainable businesses, and educating others about the importance of protecting our planet. Every action, no matter how small, can make a positive impact on the unfolding story of the Earth.