Uniform Accelerated Motion - Ticker Tape Experiment

In summary, the conversation was about an experiment involving a cart coasting down an incline plane using ticker tape to measure the velocity and time. The goal was to prove that the cart had Uniform Accelerated Motion, but the data obtained from the experiment did not support this. The conversation ended with suggestions on how to improve the experiment and achieve more accurate results.
Iniuria12
Ok, I'm currently trying to do an experiment of a cart coasting down an incline plane using ticker tape. The ticker tape is set up so that the space between each dot represents 0.02 s. That being said, between every 5th dot would represent 0.1 second.

I know that the point of this experiment is to prove that the cart has Uniform Accelerated Motion, however, using the data that I have obtained, my Velocity-Time graphs say otherwise. Below is the data I have:

Position (cm) | Time (s)
0.000 cm 0.000 s
0.5 cm 0.100 s
1.5 cm 0.200 s
3.3 cm 0.300 s
5.7 cm 0.400 s
9.2 cm 0.500 s
13.6 cm 0.600 s

From that information I am able to find the Interval Displacement
d=p2-p1 so:

First = 0.5 cm - 0.0 cm = 0.5 cm
Second = 1.5 cm - 0.5 cm = 1.0 cm
Third = 3.3 cm - 1.5 cm = 1.8 cm
Fourth = 5.7 cm - 3.3 cm = 2.4 cm
Fifth = 9.2 cm - 5.7 cm = 3.5 cm
Sixth = 13.6 cm - 9.2 cm = 4.4 cm

Using the Interval Displacement information, I can then find the Average Velocities: V=change of D/ change of T

First = 0.5cm / 0.1 s = 5 cm/s
Second = 1.0 cm / 0.1 s = 10 cm/s
Third = 1.8 cm / 0.1 s = 18 cm/s
Fourth = 2.4 cm / 0.1 s = 24 cm/s
Fifth = 3.5 cm / 0.1 s = 35 cm/s
Sixth = 4.4 cm / 0.1 s = 44 cm/s

Knowing that the Vi at the midpoints of the intervals is equal to the Average velocity, they would be representative of the same answers.

Mid-point intervals:
First = 0.05 s
Second = 0.15 s
Third = 0.25 s
Fourth = 0.35 s
Fifth = 0.45 s
Sixth = 0.55 s

Now after calculating all this information and plotting into a Velocity Time Graph both by hand, and also from using Data Studio and Graphical Analysis, I come up with the same answers. They are not representative of an object with Uniform Acceleration. If they were, then the V-T graph would be a straight line moving upwards to the right. My line is more or less upwards to the right but not at a constant velocity, they change at every second.

Does anyone know what I might have done wrong with this experiment?? I'm not looking for anyone to give me the correct answers, as I would like to find them on my own, but any suggestions as to where I messed up, miscalculated, used wrong information etc.. PLEASE HELP,

Physics news on Phys.org
You have calculated the velocity correctly but then you need to take the differences between the velocity at each tinterval,
First-second = 5-10 = 5cm/s
Second-third = 10-18 = 8cm/s
Third-forth = 18 - 24 = 6cm/s
Fourth-fifth = 24-35 = 11cm/s
Fifth-sixth = 35 - 44 = 9cm/s
So accelaration is reasonably constant, at slow speeds you have a bit of friction.

You haven't done any calculations wrong its just that you must have had an incline that was too steep to achieve uniform acceleration. The gradient must be slight, and when the trolly is on the slope it must only be at the point of tipping. (so its not moving) just enough of a gradient to counteract the friction.

hope this helped.

1. What is uniform accelerated motion?

Uniform accelerated motion refers to the motion of an object that is moving with a constant acceleration. This means that the object is changing its velocity by the same amount in a given time interval.

2. What is the ticker tape experiment?

The ticker tape experiment is a simple experiment used to study the motion of an object. It involves attaching a strip of ticker tape, which is a long strip of paper with evenly spaced holes, to a moving object and using a ticker timer to mark the position of the object at regular time intervals. This allows for the analysis of the object's motion, including its velocity and acceleration.

3. How does the ticker tape experiment demonstrate uniform accelerated motion?

The ticker tape experiment demonstrates uniform accelerated motion by showing the consistent spacing between the dots on the ticker tape. This spacing represents the object's changing velocity, with larger spacing indicating a faster velocity and smaller spacing indicating a slower velocity. Additionally, the evenly spaced dots also show that the object is changing its velocity by the same amount in each time interval, demonstrating uniform acceleration.

4. What factors can affect the results of the ticker tape experiment?

Several factors can affect the results of the ticker tape experiment, including the accuracy of the ticker timer, the smoothness of the object's motion, and any external forces acting on the object (such as friction or air resistance). It is important to control for these factors in order to obtain accurate and reliable results.

5. How can the results of the ticker tape experiment be used to calculate an object's acceleration?

The results of the ticker tape experiment can be used to calculate an object's acceleration by measuring the changes in velocity (represented by the spacing between dots on the ticker tape) over a given time interval. By dividing the change in velocity by the time interval, the average acceleration of the object can be determined. This can then be used to analyze the object's motion and make predictions about its future behavior.