Uniform Circular Motion in a Horizontal Plane

In summary: The string tension is acting horizontally to the right of the center of mass of the fuzzy dice, and vertically downward. This yields a net force of -9.8 Newtons (N).
carouselifica
Hey Guys. I am having issues with one of my physics homework questions, and i was seeking help. The question is as follows:
While traveling around a roundabout, John notices that the fluffy dice suspended from his rear-vision mirror swing out. If John is traveling at 8m/s and the roundabout has a diameter of 5m, what angle will the string connected to the fluffy dice (mass 100g) make with the vertical?

Relevant equations:
V = 2πr/T
T = 1/f
a = v^2/r
a = 4π^2/T^2
F=mV^2/r
F=ma
F=m4π^2r/T

I have attempted this a few times, getting answers of 70* and 20*. We have been told that the answer is 50*, but i can't work out how to do this. I think it has something to do with using trigonometry and the forces to make a triangle, but that is a complete guess, so any help would be amazing!

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing a free body diagram of the dice. What forces act on the dice?

Hi carouselifica. Welcome to Physics Forums.

5m diameter seems pretty tight for a roundabout. Are you sure its 5m diameter and not 5m radius?

Your hunch about it having to due with trigonometry is correct. There will be two accelerations operating on the fuzzy dice, one being due to gravity. Can you name the other acceleration?

gneill said:
Hi carouselifica. Welcome to Physics Forums.

5m diameter seems pretty tight for a roundabout. Are you sure its 5m diameter and not 5m radius?

Your hunch about it having to due with trigonometry is correct. There will be two accelerations operating on the fuzzy dice, one being due to gravity. Can you name the other acceleration?

The teacher is wanting to just give us the experience. I was correct in saying it was a 5m diameter. The other force is centripetal force isn't it? I originally thought you would have to find the centripetal force acting on the car, and use the gravity multiplied by the mass to do a vector addition, and then trig, but the answer isn't nearly right, compared to the 50* answer.

carouselifica said:
The other force is centripetal force isn't it?
There are two forces acting on the dice: gravity is one, the tension in the string is the other. You need to find the angle that the string--and thus the tension--makes with the vertical.

Draw a free body diagram. What's the ball's acceleration?

Analyze horizontal and vertical force components using Newton's 2nd law.

1. What is uniform circular motion in a horizontal plane?

Uniform circular motion in a horizontal plane is the motion of an object moving in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at a constant velocity, but its direction is constantly changing, creating a circular path.

2. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

The main difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion is that in uniform circular motion, the object is moving at a constant speed, while in non-uniform circular motion, the speed is changing at different points in the circular path.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In uniform circular motion, the centripetal force is always directed towards the center of the circle, and its magnitude is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity divided by the radius of the circle.

4. How is the velocity of an object in uniform circular motion related to its radius?

The velocity of an object in uniform circular motion is directly proportional to its radius. This means that if the radius of the circle increases, the velocity of the object will also increase, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation v=ωr, where ω is the angular velocity of the object.

5. What is the difference between linear and angular velocity in uniform circular motion?

Linear velocity is the speed at which an object is moving in a straight line, while angular velocity is the speed at which an object is rotating around a fixed axis, such as in circular motion. In uniform circular motion, the magnitude of the linear velocity is equal to the product of the angular velocity and the radius of the circle.