1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform circular motion

1. May 1, 2004 #1
    I've been working on this for awhile. I think I've got it. Ok here's the problem:

A particle moves in a circle of radius r completing one cycle in time T. What is the magnitude of the average acceleration over time T and over time T/2?

It seems to me that over time T the magitude of the ave acceleration should be zero, but over time T/2, it has to be a non-zero number. Since the acceleration is constant, the instantaneous acceleration should be equal to the average acceleration. v(final)-v(initial)=change in v

the (change in v)/(change in time)= a ; so at time T, v(final) - v(initial)=0 and so acceleration has to equal zero. Over time T/2, v(final ) and v(initial) are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction, so the change in v
    should equal (2)(magnitude of v)

v=(2(pi)r)/T, then delta v = (4(pi)r)/T, delta t=T/2, so a=((8)(pi)r)/T^2
    This seems right to me. Am I missing something.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2004 #2

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

looks fine to me.

4. May 4, 2004 #3
    Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?