What Is the Correct Calculation for Angular Speed in a Centrifuge Problem?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angular speed (in revolutions per minute) of a centrifuge that can produce an acceleration of 675 times the gravitational acceleration at a given radius. The equation used is ac=4 pi2 r f2 and the attempt at a solution involves converting the radius to meters and solving for frequency. However, the answer is incorrect due to an error in converting the acceleration from m/s^2 to m/m^2. The expert summarizes the conversation and notes the need to convert correctly based on the units.
Muneerah

Homework Statement

What angular speed (in revolutions per
minute) is needed for a centrifuge to produce
an acceleration of 675 times the gravitational
acceleration 9.8 m/s2 at a radius of 15.4 cm?
Answer in units of rev/min.

Homework Equations

ac=4 pi2 r f2

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so first I found the acceleration which is 110.25 m/m2 and I converted the radius to meters r= .154 m then I solved for the frequency = ((110.25)/(4pi2.154))1/2 = 1979.137 rpm
and my answer was wrong. Can you please tell me what error I made. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Muneerah said:

Homework Statement

What angular speed (in revolutions per
minute) is needed for a centrifuge to produce
an acceleration of 675 times the gravitational
acceleration 9.8 m/s2 at a radius of 15.4 cm?
Answer in units of rev/min.

Homework Equations

ac=4 pi2 r f2

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so first I found the acceleration which is 110.25 m/m2 and I converted the radius to meters r= .154 m then I solved for the frequency = ((110.25)/(4pi2.154))1/2 = 1979.137 rpm
and my answer was wrong. Can you please tell me what error I made. thank you

9.81 m/s^2 * 675 does not equal 110.25 m/m2

Yeah, I fixed the acceleration and I got 3906900m/m2 and blugged it in again, and my answer was still wrong.

umm acceleration is m/s/s not m/m/m

I had to convert it, because they're asking for the angular speed in rev/minute

what kind of physics are you taking?

1. What is Uniform Circular Motion?

Uniform Circular Motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object covers the same distance in the same amount of time as it moves around the circle.

2. What is the difference between Uniform Circular Motion and Non-Uniform Circular Motion?

In Uniform Circular Motion, the speed of the object remains constant, while in Non-Uniform Circular Motion, the speed of the object changes as it moves around the circle. This means that the object covers different distances in the same amount of time in Non-Uniform Circular Motion.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in Uniform Circular Motion?

Centripetal force is the force that causes an object to move in a circular path. In Uniform Circular Motion, this force is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path.

4. Can an object in Uniform Circular Motion have a changing velocity?

Yes, an object in Uniform Circular Motion can have a changing velocity. While the speed remains constant, the direction of the velocity changes as the object moves around the circle.

5. What are some real-life examples of Uniform Circular Motion?

A few examples of Uniform Circular Motion are the motion of a satellite orbiting the Earth, the motion of a Ferris wheel, and the motion of a car around a curved track. Any object moving in a circular path at a constant speed exhibits Uniform Circular Motion.