Understanding Uniform Continuity: A Guide to Formalizing Proofs

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of uniform continuity and how it relates to a given problem. The solution involves choosing appropriate values for ε, δ, and N and proving the limf(xn)-f(yn)=0 using the definition of uniform continuity. The correct term for the problem is sequences, not series.
sergey_le
Homework Statement
Prove that if f Uniform continuity in R, then for any two series xn and yn limyn-xn=0 so limf(xn)-f(yn)=0
Relevant Equations
Uniform continuity
There are two parts to the question Let's start with part :)
I understand the definition of Uniform continuity And I think I'm in the right direction for the solution but I'm not sure of the formal wording.
So be it ε>0
Given that yn limyn-xn=0 so For all ε>0 , ∃N∈ℕ so that For all N<n , |yn-xn|<ε so ∃δ>0 so that |yn-xn|<δ And because f is Uniform continuity
|f(yn)-f(xn)|<ε.
I know my formulation is not good but I can't formalize it nicely

Physics news on Phys.org
sergey_le said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that if f Uniform continuity in R, then for any two series xn and yn limyn-xn=0 so limf(xn)-f(yn)=0
Homework Equations:: Uniform continuity

I understand the definition of Uniform continuity And I think I'm in the right direction for the solution but I'm not sure of the formal wording.
So be it ε>0
Given that yn limyn-xn=0 so For all ε>0 , ∃N∈ℕ so that For all N<n , |yn-xn|<ε so ∃δ>0 so that |yn-xn|<δ And because f is Uniform continuity
|f(yn)-f(xn)|<ε.

The correct term is sequences. Not series.

I think you got the right idea but it contains some mistakes.

Let ##\epsilon>0##. Choose ##\delta>0## as in the definition of uniform continuity.

Choose ##N## such that ##|x_n−y_n|<\delta ## if ##n\geq N##.

Can you conclude?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes sergey_le and PeroK
sergey_le said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that if f Uniform continuity in R, then for any two series xn and yn limyn-xn=0 so limf(xn)-f(yn)=0
Homework Equations:: Uniform continuity

So be it ε>0
|f(yn)-f(xn)|<ε.

You must be much clearer about how you get ##N, \delta, \epsilon##.

Hint: try working backwards from the way you did it:

Let ##\epsilon > 0##

How do you get ##|f(y_n) - f(x_n)| < \epsilon##?

Answer: if ##x_n, y_n## are close enough together. This gives you ##\delta## (depends on ##\epsilon##).

How do you get ##x_n, y_n## close enough together?

Answer: by taking ##n## large enough. This gives you ##N##, which depends on ##\delta##.

Can you formalise that strategy?

Likes member 587159
PeroK said:
You must be much clearer about how you get ##N, \delta, \epsilon##.

Hint: try working backwards from the way you did it:

Let ##\epsilon > 0##

How do you get ##|f(y_n) - f(x_n)| < \epsilon##?

Answer: if ##x_n, y_n## are close enough together. This gives you ##\delta## (depends on ##\epsilon##).

How do you get ##x_n, y_n## close enough together?

Answer: by taking ##n## large enough. This gives you ##N##, which depends on ##\delta##.

Can you formalise that strategy?
I understand what you mean I tried for an hour now to translate my formulation into English.
But my English is not good and it turns out really not good.
I'm not sure how I write the passage from that if |xn−yn|<δ so |f(yn)−f(xn)|<ϵ
I'd love if you could help me with that.

Math_QED said:
The correct term is sequences. Not series.

I think you got the right idea but it contains some mistakes.

Let ##\epsilon>0##. Choose ##\delta>0## as in the definition of uniform continuity.

Choose ##N## such that ##|x_n−y_n|<\delta ## if ##n\geq N##.

Can you conclude?
The correct term is sequences. Not series . Thanks I will use it
Can you please help me with a formal wording: /

sergey_le said:
The correct term is sequences. Not series . Thanks I will use it
Can you please help me with a formal wording: /

Let ##\epsilon > 0##. Because ##f## is uniformly continuous, we may choose ##\delta > 0## such that for all ##x## with ##|x-y|< \delta## we have ##|f(x)-f(y)|< \epsilon##. Because ##\lim_n (x_n-y_n)= 0##, there is ##N## such that ##|x_n-y_n|< \delta## whenever ##n \geq N##. Thus, combining the two previous statements, we get ##|f(x_n)-f(y_n)|< \epsilon## whenever ##n \geq N##. Thus we have proven that for any ##\epsilon>0##, there is ##N## such that ##|f(x_n)-f(y_n)|< \epsilon## whenever ##n \geq N##. This is exactly the definition of ##\lim_n (f(x_n)-f(y_n)) = 0## and we are done. ##\quad \square##

Likes sergey_le
Math_QED said:
Let ##\epsilon > 0##. Because ##f## is uniformly continuous, we may choose ##\delta > 0## such that for all ##x## with ##|x-y|< \delta## we have ##|f(x)-f(y)|< \epsilon##. Because ##\lim_n (x_n-y_n)= 0##, there is ##N## such that ##|x_n-y_n|< \delta## whenever ##n \geq N##. Thus, combining the two previous statements, we get ##|f(x_n)-f(y_n)|< \epsilon## whenever ##n \geq N##. Thus we have proven that for any ##\epsilon>0##, there is ##N## such that ##|f(x_n)-f(y_n)|< \epsilon## whenever ##n \geq N##. This is exactly the definition of ##\lim_n (f(x_n)-f(y_n)) = 0## and we are done. ##\quad \square##
Thanks so much for your understanding.
This stuff is new to me and I need to get used to a good formulation

1. What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input values get closer and closer together. It ensures that the function's output values also get closer together, without any sudden changes or jumps.

2. How is uniform continuity different from regular continuity?

Regular continuity only requires that the function's output values get closer together as the input values get closer together, but it does not guarantee a consistent rate of change. Uniform continuity, on the other hand, ensures that there are no sudden changes or jumps in the function's output values as the input values get closer together.

3. What are the key properties of a uniformly continuous function?

There are three key properties of a uniformly continuous function: 1) it is continuous at every point within its domain, 2) it has a consistent rate of change, meaning that the function's output values change at a similar rate as the input values, and 3) it has no sudden changes or jumps in its output values as the input values get closer together.

4. How is uniform continuity useful in real-world applications?

Uniform continuity is useful in many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. It helps us to model and predict the behavior of systems and processes that involve continuous change, such as the motion of objects, the flow of fluids, and the price of stocks.

5. What are some common techniques for proving uniform continuity?

There are several techniques for proving uniform continuity, including the epsilon-delta method, the mean value theorem, and the Cauchy criterion. These techniques involve using mathematical proofs and properties to show that a function satisfies the conditions of uniform continuity.