Uniform Convergence of fn: Does fn(x)=nx^2/1+nx Converge?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
math8
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
does {fn} converge uniformly? fn(x)=nx^2/1+nx


I can see that fn converges pointwise to f(x)=x. I know, for epsilon>0, I need to find N st for n >or equal to N, |fn(x)-f(x)|<epsilon.

|fn(x)-f(x)|=x/1+nx but then I am stuck.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
math8 said:
does {fn} converge uniformly? fn(x)=nx^2/1+nx


I can see that fn converges pointwise to f(x)=x.
Why is that the case?
 
To be clear, are you considering convergence on all of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] or
only on [tex][0,1][/tex]? Also, your sequence of functions is

[tex] f_n(x) = \frac{x}{1+nx}[/tex]

correct? If it really is (as you wrote)

[tex] f_n(x) = nx^2 + nx[/tex]

then it should be clear that the only place it converges is at [tex]x = 0[/tex]. Assuming the first version is correct, continue reading.

One idea: note that

[tex] |f_n(x) - x| = \frac{x}{1+nx} \le \frac{x}{nx} = \frac 1 n \quad \forall x [/tex]

Given an [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], how would you choose an appropriate value of [tex]N[/tex]?
 
for dirk_mec1,

fn(x) converges pointwise to x because lim as n-->infinity of fn(x) equals x.
 
math8 said:
for dirk_mec1,

fn(x) converges pointwise to x because lim as n-->infinity of fn(x) equals x.

On what domain are these functions fn defined (like statdad already asked you) ?
 
I will prefer the domain to be [0,infinity]...for x is not defined at -1/n, which makes it a bit complicated.