1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniformly Charged Rod

1. Sep 2, 2014 #1

jls

1. Problem Statement
    A uniformly charged rod of length L and total charge Q lies along the x axis as shown in in the figure below. (Use the following as necessary: Q, L, d, and ke.)

(a) Find the components of the electric field at the point P on the y axis a distance d from the origin.

(b) What are the approximate values of the field components when d >> L?

2. Equations
    I have a diagram and understand that E=kQ/r^2, however, I can not figure out how to define each component.

3. Attempt
    I know that I must integrate to solve once I have defined the component, however I do not know how to define them.
    Would Ex=rsin(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] and Ey=rcos(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] be at all in the right direction?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello jls, and welcome to PF.
    Can't find a picture... or is the figure below in your book only ? In that case:
    Is the center of the rod at x=0 ? (would make things easier...)

4. Sep 2, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

##E = \frac{kQ}{r^2}## only applies for a point charge. There's probably an example done in your textbook that you might find very helpful.

5. Sep 3, 2014 #4

jls

6. Sep 4, 2014 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yup. Now we set up the integral (which you already expected to be needed). We take a little chunk of rod from x to x+dx and write down the x and y components of ##\vec E## at point ##\vec P = (0, y_P)##. Is one way.

Your Ex=rsin(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] and Ey=rcos(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] looks like an integration over ##\theta##; is fine too.

Both cases you need to express the things that vary in terms of the integrand: r(##\theta##), Q(##\theta##) -- or rather the dQ from ##\theta## to ##\theta + d\theta##. Or express them in x and dx and let x run from 0 to L.

7. Sep 4, 2014 #6

jls

How do you turn that chunk (x to x+dx) into the components? I think I could figure it out if I knew what that meant..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted