Uniformly continuous function

In summary, If f:[0,\infty)\rightarrow \mathbb{R} is a continuous function such that \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} f(x)=1, then f is uniformly continuous. This is because every continuous function on a compact set is uniformly continuous and for large values of x, f(x) will be close to 1. We can also use the definition of uniform continuity and the fact that f is continuous on [0,M+1] to find a delta that satisfies the conditions for uniform continuity on [0, +\infty).
A-ManESL
Suppose f:[0,[tex]\infty]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] is a continuous function such that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} f(x)=1[/tex]. I want to show that f is uniformly continuous. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Every continuous function on a compact set is uniformly continuous.

Did you mean [itex][0, +\infty)[/itex]?

Yes I meant [tex]f:[0,\infty)\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Sorry for the mistake. Obviously [tex][0,\infty)[/tex] is not compact and so the above stated result doesn't apply.

P.S. I was being sneaky -- my question is also a hint.

Can you please me more explicit? All I can think of is that for large x, f(x) will be close to 1.

A-ManESL said:
Can you please me more explicit?
Well, I do have to give you a chance to see for yourself how to fit the ideas you've learned together. Otherwise, you won't learn!

If f really were a function on [itex][0, +\infty][/itex], the problem would be easy...

All I can think of is that for large x, f(x) will be close to 1.
Or, if you don't want to think my way, then we can think your way. What is the definition of uniform continuity? How might we be able to apply this fact you've observed?

p.s. do you understand the proof that any continuous function on a compact set is uniformly continuous? If not, then you really don't have much chance of getting this proof to work... It would definitely be worth your time to review that proof.

That's very easy to show, once you can use the theorem "f continuous on a compact => f uniformly continuous", even though I had to stress some tecnichal detail.

Take eps > 0.

You have to find a delta > 0 such that for every couple of elements x1, x2 in [0, +infty) such that | x1 - x2 | < delta you have |f(x1) - f(x2)| < eps.

From the definition of limit you have that an M positive real exist such that for every x > M
you are sure |f(x) - 1| < eps/2.

Now on [0,M+1] f is uniformly continuous, so you have a delta1 >0 such that for every x1,x2 in [0,M+1] we have |f(x1) - f(x2)| < eps.

Take delta = min(delta1, 1).

We have trivially that, for every x1,x2 in [0, M+1] with | x1 - x2 | < delta we get
|f(x1) - f(x2)| < eps and delta is in (0,1].

Ok. Now take x1, x2 in [0, + infty) with | x1 - x2 | < delta. If the greatest of the 2 xs lays in [0,M+1] you have, of course, |f(x1) - f(x2)| < eps .
If the greatest xs lays in (M+1, +infty), since | x1 - x2 | < delta <= 1, we have the lowest x stays in (M, +infty). In conclusion we have x1, x2 > M.

So | f(x1) - f(x2)| = | f(x1) - 1 + 1 - f(x2) | <= |f(x1) -1| + |1 - f(x2)| =
|f(x1) - 1| + |f(x2) -1| < eps/2 + eps/2 = eps.

What is a uniformly continuous function?

A uniformly continuous function is a type of mathematical function that, intuitively speaking, does not change too much over a given interval. More precisely, a function is uniformly continuous if for any two points on its domain, the difference in their outputs (also known as the "distance" between the points) is always less than a certain value, regardless of how close the points are to each other.

What is the difference between uniform continuity and continuity?

Uniform continuity is a stronger condition than continuity. A function is continuous if, for any point on its domain, its output approaches a particular value as the input approaches that point. Uniform continuity, on the other hand, requires that this behavior is consistent across the entire domain of the function.

How is uniform continuity different from Lipschitz continuity?

Uniform continuity and Lipschitz continuity are similar, but not exactly the same. Both conditions require that the function does not change too much over a given interval. However, Lipschitz continuity also places a limit on how much the function can change at any point, whereas uniform continuity only requires consistency across the entire domain.

Can a function be uniformly continuous but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be uniformly continuous but not continuous. This is because uniform continuity is a stronger condition that implies continuity as well. In other words, if a function is uniformly continuous, it must also be continuous.

How is uniform continuity used in real-world applications?

Uniform continuity is a useful concept in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to make predictions and analyze systems that are subject to continuous change, such as the motion of objects or the behavior of financial markets. In particular, uniform continuity can help us determine if a system will behave in a predictable and consistent manner over time.