Unique Launcher Ideas for Lisa's Physics Project

In summary, Lisa from the Netherlands is looking for suggestions on a unique construction for launching an arrow or marble at a variable angle for a physics project. She has not been able to find helpful resources in her country and is seeking advice. Some suggestions mentioned include using compressed air or a compressed spring, creating a vacuum shooter, and using a Rube Goldberg-style mechanism involving a hamster and weight.
Lisa.de.Vries
Hi there!

My name is Lisa, and I live in the Netherlands (where school has already begun 2 weeks ago ). I have a pretty urgent question concerning a physics project. I need to think of a certain construction which launches an arrow/ dart arrow / marble from a variable angle.
It's very important that the launcher uses a unique technique (not such as a crossbow, catapult, waterrocket etc). I really don't know a lot about launching items and here in the Netherlands I could not find a book/ site with hints. Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks! :biggrin:

Lisa de Vries

Physics news on Phys.org
Compressed air would work, so would a compressed spring.

create a vacuum shooter. Create a vacuum in front of the barrel, and to fire, let air in from the gun barrel and get it the hell out of the way.

I like the idea of having a hampster in a cage raise a weight, which drops on a see-saw to fling the marble. But I'm not sure how to make the release mechanism for the weight offhand.

Anyway, that's all that comes to mind for me - "Rube Goldberg".

Related to Unique Launcher Ideas for Lisa's Physics Project

1. What is the purpose of a unique launcher for Lisa's physics project?

The purpose of a unique launcher for Lisa's physics project is to demonstrate the principles of projectile motion and the relationship between force, angle, and distance. It will also allow for experimentation and data collection to analyze the results.

2. What are some ideas for a unique launcher?

Some ideas for a unique launcher could include a trebuchet, a catapult, a pneumatic launcher, a magnetic launcher, or a compressed air cannon. Each of these designs would provide a different method of launching a projectile and can be customized to fit the specific requirements of Lisa's project.

3. How can a unique launcher be constructed?

A unique launcher can be constructed by gathering materials such as wood, PVC pipes, rubber bands, springs, magnets, and other components depending on the chosen design. These materials can then be assembled using tools such as a saw, drill, and glue to create a functional and safe launcher.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when using a unique launcher?

Safety precautions when using a unique launcher should include wearing protective gear such as goggles and gloves, ensuring proper supervision, and following all instructions carefully. It is also important to test the launcher in a controlled environment and away from people or objects.

5. How can a unique launcher be modified for different experiments?

A unique launcher can be modified for different experiments by adjusting the force, angle, or distance of the launch. This can be done by changing the weight or size of the projectile, adjusting the angle of the launcher, or adding/removing components such as springs or rubber bands. It is important to record any modifications made and their impact on the results of the experiment.