Uniqueness and existence of simplified equivalent circuits

In summary, this person is asking about the simplest possible version of a given random circuit that has equivalent electrical behavior. This question is beyond the electrical engineering knowledge of this person, so they are wondering if there is a way to find the simplest version of a given random circuit. Without doing the math, it seems like the resulting "simplest" circuit may not necessarily be unique, but it can be based on the transfer functions.
Andrew732
I know this probably sounds weird, but I have a research problem that requires "random" analog circuits. Basically what this means is that I create Spice netlists by randomly adding linear and/or nonlinear components of random types with random node and parameter values. This works fine and I get a variety of interesting, valid circuits with between 5 and 50 components.

This is beyond my electrical engineering knowledge so I'm not quite sure how to ask this, but what I'm wondering is whether there is a way to algorithmically find the guaranteed simplest version of a given random circuit that has equivalent electrical behavior. (A simple example would be applying the rule that replaces two resistors in series with one equivalent resistor.) Under what conditions would such a simplified random circuit be unique i.e., no other circuit of equal or lesser size would have the same electrical behavior? Does the answer depend on whether linear or nonlinear components are used?

Hopefully what I'm asking makes sense. Thanks for any help~

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to define exactly what you mean by "equivalent electrical behaviour".

If you mean equivalent behaviour as a 4-terminal network (2 input and 2 output wires) then for a linear circuit you could find the transfer functions, then synthesize the "simplest" circuit from them. Without doing the math, I would guess the resulting "simplest" circuit would not necessarily be unique, but given that the transfer functions have a finite number of poles and zeros, you could probably define some interpretation of "simplest" that makes sense (e.g. the minimum number of components).

With the same transfer functions, the behaviour may not be "exactly" the same. For example if you have active components, the total power dissipations will probably be different, if only because the original circuit might contain components just comsume power, but don't affect the input and output in any other way.

For nonlinear behaviour, my instincts say all bets are off and anything is possible, if you are creative enough to find right counterexamples.

Your question seems rather similar to the problem in experimental dynamics of measuring the response of a system and constructing a (small) math model that matches the response directly, as compared with constructing a (large) finite element model that represents the actual structure in all its (mostly irrelevant) detail and calculating the response of the large model. Anyway, that analogy is what my "instincts" about your problem are based on.

Thanks very much for your reply. I actually am only thinking about 1 input, 1 output circuits. You're absolutely right, this is part of a black box modeling project. Based on your advice, I probably will rethink my entire random circuit idea in terms of random transfer functions instead.

There are a few things that are still unclear to me though. Is there a natural sense in which some linear transfer functions are simpler than others e.g., with fewer poles and zeroes? Could any such linear transfer function in theory be embodied by a linear RLC circuit of sufficient (possibly infinite) size? Do you think are all bets off again if we start talking about nonlinear transfer functions and nonlinear circuits?

1. What is the importance of simplified equivalent circuits in scientific research?

Simplified equivalent circuits are essential in scientific research as they allow complex systems to be represented in a simplified form, making it easier for researchers to understand and analyze the behavior of the system. This can lead to more accurate predictions and more efficient designs.

2. How are simplified equivalent circuits created?

Simplified equivalent circuits are created through a process called circuit reduction, where the complex circuit is simplified by removing unnecessary components and replacing them with equivalent components that have the same behavior. This is often done through mathematical analysis or experimental measurements.

3. Can simplified equivalent circuits accurately represent the behavior of a complex system?

While simplified equivalent circuits cannot capture all of the complexities of a system, they can provide a good approximation of its behavior. These circuits are often used in conjunction with other models and simulations to get a more comprehensive understanding of the system.

4. Are there any limitations to using simplified equivalent circuits?

There are some limitations to using simplified equivalent circuits, as they can only accurately represent linear systems and may not account for nonlinear effects. Additionally, the accuracy of the circuit depends on the accuracy of the data used to create it.

5. How can simplified equivalent circuits be validated?

Simplified equivalent circuits can be validated by comparing their predictions to experimental data. If the circuit accurately predicts the behavior of the system, it can be considered a valid representation. Additionally, the circuit can be refined and improved through further testing and analysis.