Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniqueness of canonical transformations

1. Sep 11, 2012 #1
    The following question seems to be simple enough...Anyway, I hope if someone could confirm what I am thinking.

Is canonical transformation in mechanics unique? We know that given [tex]\ (q, p)\rightarrow\ (Q, P)[/tex], [tex]\ [q,p] = [Q,P] = constant[/tex] and Hamilton's equations of motion stay the same in the new co-ordinates.

My question is: given [tex]\ q\rightarrow Q[/tex] in a canonical transoformation, is the map [tex]\ p\rightarrow P[/tex] uniquely determined? Seems yes to me, but I do not find an off-hand argument in favour.

Can anyone tell how to derive this map?

-Regards,
    Neel

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2012 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

This is a simplified special case, i.e.,
    [tex]Q=Q(q).[/tex]
    Now we have
    [tex]\{Q,P \}=Q'(q) \frac{\partial P}{\partial p} \stackrel{!}{=} 1.[/tex]
    This means that
    [tex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial p}=-\frac{1}{Q'(q)}.[/tex]
    This means that
    [tex]P(q,p)=-\frac{p}{Q'(q)}+\tilde{P}(q).[/tex]
    with an arbitrary function [itex]\tilde{P}(q)[/itex] alone. Thus, the canonical transformation is determined up to this arbitrary function only.

4. Sep 11, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply...I think I see your point; in such a case, apparently [tex]p\rightarrow P[/tex] is a linear map...By the way, if it was intended, I could not understand the appearance of [tex]'!'[/tex] and [tex]'-'[/tex] sign.

5. Sep 12, 2012 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Argh! The minus sign is simply wrong.

The exclamation mark over the equality sign indicates that this is a constraint to make the transformation a canonical one (i.e., a symplectomorphism on phase space). One can show that a transformation is canonical if and only if the canonical Poisson-bracket relations hold for the new variables. So the correct answer to your question is

[tex]Q=Q(q), \quad P(q,p)=+\frac{p}{Q'(q)}+\tilde{P}(q).[/tex]

By the way, this is the special case of a "point transformation", which is the same as changing from a generalized coordinate [itex]q[/itex] to an arbitrary new one, [itex]Q[/itex] within the Lagrangian formulation of analytical mechanics.

The important point to realize is that the Hamilton formulation admits a larger group of transformations, namely the canonical transformations!

6. Sep 12, 2012 #5
    I agree fully...The scope of canonical transformations is a larger than the so-called symmetry transformations...Thank you very much for the explanations...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook