Uniqueness of canonical transformations

In summary, the canonical transformation is unique provided that the canonical Poisson-bracket relations hold.
neelakash
The following question seems to be simple enough...Anyway, I hope if someone could confirm what I am thinking.

Is canonical transformation in mechanics unique? We know that given [tex]\ (q, p)\rightarrow\ (Q, P)[/tex], [tex]\ [q,p] = [Q,P] = constant[/tex] and Hamilton's equations of motion stay the same in the new co-ordinates.

My question is: given [tex]\ q\rightarrow Q[/tex] in a canonical transoformation, is the map [tex]\ p\rightarrow P[/tex] uniquely determined? Seems yes to me, but I do not find an off-hand argument in favour.

Can anyone tell how to derive this map?

-Regards,
Neel

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a simplified special case, i.e.,
[tex]Q=Q(q).[/tex]
Now we have
[tex]\{Q,P \}=Q'(q) \frac{\partial P}{\partial p} \stackrel{!}{=} 1.[/tex]
This means that
[tex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial p}=-\frac{1}{Q'(q)}.[/tex]
This means that
[tex]P(q,p)=-\frac{p}{Q'(q)}+\tilde{P}(q).[/tex]
with an arbitrary function [itex]\tilde{P}(q)[/itex] alone. Thus, the canonical transformation is determined up to this arbitrary function only.

Thanks for the reply...I think I see your point; in such a case, apparently [tex]p\rightarrow P[/tex] is a linear map...By the way, if it was intended, I could not understand the appearance of [tex]'!'[/tex] and [tex]'-'[/tex] sign.

Argh! The minus sign is simply wrong.

The exclamation mark over the equality sign indicates that this is a constraint to make the transformation a canonical one (i.e., a symplectomorphism on phase space). One can show that a transformation is canonical if and only if the canonical Poisson-bracket relations hold for the new variables. So the correct answer to your question is

[tex]Q=Q(q), \quad P(q,p)=+\frac{p}{Q'(q)}+\tilde{P}(q).[/tex]

By the way, this is the special case of a "point transformation", which is the same as changing from a generalized coordinate [itex]q[/itex] to an arbitrary new one, [itex]Q[/itex] within the Lagrangian formulation of analytical mechanics.

The important point to realize is that the Hamilton formulation admits a larger group of transformations, namely the canonical transformations!

I agree fully...The scope of canonical transformations is a larger than the so-called symmetry transformations...Thank you very much for the explanations...

1. What are canonical transformations?

Canonical transformations are transformations in classical mechanics that preserve the form of Hamilton's equations of motion, which describe the evolution of a physical system over time. They are used to transform between different sets of generalized coordinates and momenta while preserving the underlying physics of the system.

2. Why are canonical transformations important?

Canonical transformations are important because they allow us to simplify the equations of motion for a physical system. By transforming to a set of canonical coordinates, we can often find simpler and more elegant solutions to complex problems. They also preserve the fundamental symmetries and conservation laws of a system.

3. How do canonical transformations relate to the Hamiltonian formalism?

The Hamiltonian formalism is a mathematical framework for describing physical systems using generalized coordinates and momenta. Canonical transformations are transformations within this framework that preserve the structure of Hamilton's equations of motion. They allow us to rewrite the Hamiltonian in terms of new coordinates and momenta while maintaining the same physical system.

4. What is the uniqueness of canonical transformations?

The uniqueness of canonical transformations refers to the fact that any two canonical transformations that preserve the form of Hamilton's equations must be related by a constant transformation. In other words, there is only one way to transform between two sets of canonical coordinates while preserving the underlying physics of the system.

5. How do canonical transformations account for symmetries and conservation laws?

Canonical transformations preserve the symmetries and conservation laws of a physical system because they do not change the fundamental structure of Hamilton's equations. This means that any symmetries or conservation laws that were present in the original coordinates will still hold in the transformed coordinates. In this way, canonical transformations allow us to simplify our calculations without losing important physical properties of the system.