1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unitarily equivalent

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    I've had the flu all week.

Of course, the book defines unitary equivalent, but it doesn't talk about an efficient method of determining if two matrices are unitarily equivalent.

Is there an efficient way to determine if these matrices are unitarily equivalent?

[itex]
    \begin{bmatrix}
    0 & 1 & 0\\
    -1 & 0 &0 \\
    0 &0 &1
    \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

[itex]
    \begin{bmatrix}
    1 & 0 & 0\\
    0 & i &0 \\
    0 &0 &-i
    \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You can easily find the eigenvalues, no?

4. Mar 29, 2012 #3
    How does that relate to unitary equivalence?

5. Mar 29, 2012 #4
    I found that A and B are unitarily equivalent if they have the same sets of eigenvalues, counting multiplicity.

A = P*BP (unitarily equivalent)

det(A) = det(P*BP) = det(P*)det(B)det(P) = det(P*)det(P)det(B) = det(B)
    det(A) = det(B)

Their characteristic polynomials must be equal.

6. Mar 29, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that is not true. The matrices
    [tex]A= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]B= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    have the same eigenvalues (1 with multiplicity two) but are not unitarily equivalent because they do not have the same eigenvectors. A has every vector as eigenvector while B has only multiples of <1, 0> as eigenvectors.

Two matrices are "unitarily equivalent" if and only if they have the same eigenvalues and the same corresponding eigenvectors.

7. Mar 29, 2012 #6
    Okay, so I found the eigenvalues of each of the matrices: 1, -i, +i. Now I have the tedious job of finding the eigenvectors. -_-

8. Mar 29, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Halls is definitely wrong to say that they have to have the same eigenvectors. You just have to have the same number of linearly independent eigenvectors for every eigenvalue. You have three distinct eigenvalues. That means you don't have to compute the eigenvectors. Why?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  9. Mar 29, 2012 #8
    Ah, you're right. The dimensions of the eigenspaces are equal - 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook