Determining Unitarily Equivalent Matrices

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of unitary equivalence between two matrices and various methods for determining if two matrices are unitarily equivalent. The most efficient way is to check if the matrices have the same eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors. However, it is also mentioned that if the matrices have the same number of distinct eigenvalues, the tedious task of finding eigenvectors can be avoided.
Shackleford
I've had the flu all week.

Of course, the book defines unitary equivalent, but it doesn't talk about an efficient method of determining if two matrices are unitarily equivalent.

If A and B are similar and tr(B*B) = tr(A*A), then A and B are unitarily equivalent.

If A and B are normal matrices and have the same eigenvalues, then they are unitarily equivalent.

Is there an efficient way to determine if these matrices are unitarily equivalent?

[itex]
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 1 & 0\\
-1 & 0 &0 \\
0 &0 &1
\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

[itex]
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & i &0 \\
0 &0 &-i
\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You can easily find the eigenvalues, no?

micromass said:
You can easily find the eigenvalues, no?

How does that relate to unitary equivalence?

I found that A and B are unitarily equivalent if they have the same sets of eigenvalues, counting multiplicity.

A = P*BP (unitarily equivalent)

det(A) = det(P*BP) = det(P*)det(B)det(P) = det(P*)det(P)det(B) = det(B)
det(A) = det(B)

Their characteristic polynomials must be equal.

Shackleford said:
I found that A and B are unitarily equivalent if they have the same sets of eigenvalues, counting multiplicity.
No, that is not true. The matrices
[tex]A= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]B= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
have the same eigenvalues (1 with multiplicity two) but are not unitarily equivalent because they do not have the same eigenvectors. A has every vector as eigenvector while B has only multiples of <1, 0> as eigenvectors.

Two matrices are "unitarily equivalent" if and only if they have the same eigenvalues and the same corresponding eigenvectors.

A = P*BP (unitarily equivalent)

det(A) = det(P*BP) = det(P*)det(B)det(P) = det(P*)det(P)det(B) = det(B)
det(A) = det(B)

Their characteristic polynomials must be equal.

HallsofIvy said:
No, that is not true. The matrices
[tex]A= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]B= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
have the same eigenvalues (1 with multiplicity two) but are not unitarily equivalent because they do not have the same eigenvectors. A has every vector as eigenvector while B has only multiples of <1, 0> as eigenvectors.

Two matrices are "unitarily equivalent" if and only if they have the same eigenvalues and the same corresponding eigenvectors.

Okay, so I found the eigenvalues of each of the matrices: 1, -i, +i. Now I have the tedious job of finding the eigenvectors. -_-

Shackleford said:
Okay, so I found the eigenvalues of each of the matrices: 1, -i, +i. Now I have the tedious job of finding the eigenvectors. -_-

Halls is definitely wrong to say that they have to have the same eigenvectors. You just have to have the same number of linearly independent eigenvectors for every eigenvalue. You have three distinct eigenvalues. That means you don't have to compute the eigenvectors. Why?

Last edited:
Dick said:
Halls is definitely wrong to say that they have to have the same eigenvectors. You just have to have the same number of linearly independent eigenvectors for every eigenvalue. You have three distinct eigenvalues. That mean you don't have to compute the eigenvectors. Why?

Ah, you're right. The dimensions of the eigenspaces are equal - 3.

Related to Determining Unitarily Equivalent Matrices

1. What is the definition of unitarily equivalent matrices?

Unitarily equivalent matrices are two square matrices that have the same eigenvalues and can be transformed into each other through a unitary transformation. This means that they represent the same linear transformation in different bases.

2. How do you determine if two matrices are unitarily equivalent?

To determine if two matrices are unitarily equivalent, you can use the Schur decomposition method. This involves decomposing the matrices into upper triangular matrices and checking if their diagonal entries (eigenvalues) are the same.

3. Can non-square matrices be unitarily equivalent?

No, unitary equivalence only applies to square matrices. Non-square matrices can be similar, which means they have the same eigenvalues, but not necessarily unitarily equivalent.

4. What is the significance of unitarily equivalent matrices?

Unitarily equivalent matrices have the same eigenvalues and thus represent the same linear transformation. This allows for simplification and easier calculation in certain situations, such as finding the inverse of a matrix.

5. Are unitarily equivalent matrices unique?

No, there can be multiple unitary matrices that can transform one matrix into another. However, the resulting unitarily equivalent matrices will still have the same eigenvalues and represent the same linear transformation.