1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unitary Transformation Problem

1. Jun 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi guys, I'm working on a question in Tom M Apostol's second calculus book, on page 141, number 5. It is: Prove that if T (an operator on a vector space V) is linear and norm-preserving, then T is unitary.

2. Relevant equations

Okay, a transformation T is linear if it satisfies (x and y are vectors, c is a complex scalar):

T(x + y) = T(x) + T(y)
    T(cx) = cT(x)

A norm-preserving transformation satisfies for all x (these are norms and inner products):

|T(x)| = |x|
    Equivalently, (T(x), T(x)) = (x, x)

Finally, T is unitary if for all x and y:

(T(x), T(y)) = (x, y)

Note that this is a complex vector space, so, in particular:

(x , y) = (y, x)*

where * is the complex conjugate. This fact is the key to my difficulties in this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

Here goes:

(T(x), T(y))
    = (T(x + y), T(y)) - (T(y), T(y))
    = (T(x + y), T(y)) - (y , y)
    = (T(x + y), T(x + y)) - (T(x), T(x)) - (T(y), T(x)) - (y, y)
    = (x + y, x + y) - (x, x) - (y, y) - (T(y), T(x))
    = (x, y) + (y, x) - (T(y), T(x))

Therefore: (T(x), T(y)) + (T(y), T(x)) = (x, y) + (y, x)

Now, due to the complex conjugate rule for the inner product, I can only deduce from this equation that:

(T(x), T(y)) + (T(x), T(y))* = (x, y) + (x, y)*

So, I have only proven that the real parts of (T(x), T(y)) and (x, y) are equal, not the imaginary parts. I would appreciate any inputs on how to prove this too. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2009 #2
    Try it again with the inner product (T(x), T(iy)), or some other combination with an i in there.

4. Jul 1, 2009 #3
    You are absolutely right. If we replace in my final equation x by ix, we get:

i(T(x), T(y)) - i(T(x), T(y))* = i(x, y) - i(x, y)*

which clearly shows that the imaginary parts of (T(x), T(y)) and (x, y) are equal. Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook