Units of Electron Volts (AMeV)

In summary, the units AMeV often seen in publications related to space weather refer to the mass number of a nucleus and represent the energy-per-nucleon. This is a common notation used in physics literature, although it can sometimes be confusing due to the lack of a space between the A and MeV. The energy-per-nucleon is an important quantity to know for nuclear reactions.
GreenLRan
Hi,
I have been viewing some publications related to space weather and have noticed that in many graphs and in the articles, the units AMeV appear very often. I am wondering what the A is for?

My best guess is that means atomic, ie relating energies of ions rather than single electrons. Does anyone know for certain. If so, can you provide proof or documentation?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
A is the mass number of a nucleus. So if a Carbon nuclei has 1 A MeV, it has a total energy of 12 MeV since A=12 for Carbon.

That's weird. If an eV is the energy of a single electronic charge which has been accelerated across 1V PD then it will be the same for all singly charged objects. If the atom is multiply ionised then the energy would be higher, natch, but would it not relate to the Atomic (Proton) Number, rather than the Mass Number? (The Neutrons are not accelerated by the V, after all)
All this is only applicable under pretty extreme generating conditions, I guess.

hi Norman,
is there any book explain it. because i notice in particle physics journal many author ref it as AMev or AMeV, without a space between A/A and MeV. I also just curious about this unit confusion..
thanks

sophiecentaur said:
That's weird. If an eV is the energy of a single electronic charge which has been accelerated across 1V PD then it will be the same for all singly charged objects. If the atom is multiply ionised then the energy would be higher, natch, but would it not relate to the Atomic (Proton) Number, rather than the Mass Number? (The Neutrons are not accelerated by the V, after all)
All this is only applicable under pretty extreme generating conditions, I guess.

I think the rational for AMeV units is that it gives the energy-per-nucleon, an important quantity to know for nuclear reactions. For example a 12 MeV C-12 nucleus is comparable to a 56 MeV Fe-56 nucleus. Different total energies, but each has the same 1 AMeV.

Rajini said:
hi Norman,
is there any book explain it. because i notice in particle physics journal many author ref it as AMev or AMeV, without a space between A/A and MeV. I also just curious about this unit confusion..
thanks

I don't know of any books off hand that cover the subject (there might be some older nuclear physics books that I am not familiar with that look at it). Much of your confusion is simply sloppy notation which is very common the physics literature and which I am often guilty of. Typically there is no space between the A and MeV. And whether A is italicized or not is likely due to whether the author is using italic letters to denote variables or not.

So does that mean that this unit have been better expressed as MeV/A ?

What is an Electron Volt (eV)?

An Electron Volt (eV) is a unit of energy commonly used in physics and chemistry. It is defined as the amount of energy gained or lost by an electron when it moves through an electric potential difference of one volt. 1 eV is equal to 1.602 x 10^-19 joules.

How is an Atomic Mass Unit (AMU) related to an Electron Volt?

An Atomic Mass Unit (AMU) is a unit of mass commonly used in chemistry and physics. It is defined as 1/12th of the mass of a carbon-12 atom. The relationship between AMU and eV is that 1 AMU is equal to 931.5 MeV (mega-electron volts).

What does "kilo", "mega", and "giga" mean in terms of Electron Volts?

Just like in the metric system, "kilo" means 1000, "mega" means 1 million, and "giga" means 1 billion. In terms of Electron Volts, these prefixes are used to convert between smaller and larger units. For example, 1 keV (kilo-electron volt) is equal to 1000 eV and 1 GeV (giga-electron volt) is equal to 1 billion eV.

How are Electron Volts used in particle physics?

Electron Volts are commonly used in particle physics to measure the energy of subatomic particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. They are also used to express the mass of these particles in terms of energy through the famous equation E=mc^2, where E is energy in eV, m is mass in kilograms, and c is the speed of light in meters per second.

What are some common everyday objects that can be measured in Electron Volts?

Electron Volts are typically used to measure very small amounts of energy, so everyday objects are not typically measured in eV. However, some examples of energies that can be expressed in eV include the energy of a photon of visible light (around 1-3 eV), the energy of an X-ray (around 100 eV), and the energy of an electron in an atom (around 10 eV).