Universe Expansion: Is Earth Spinning Away From Sun?

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of the universe and its effects on various phenomena such as the Earth spinning away from the Sun, the moon leaving the Earth, and the potential decrease in average temperature. Some individuals bring up personal theories, but these are not allowed according to the Physics Forums rules.
kenny1999
Is the universe now expanding?

In that case, the Earth should be spinning away from the Sun right?

I've heard that the moon is leaving the Earth 4cm-5cm every year

If we are spinning away from the Sun, average temp. on the Earth must be decreasing

Is there any scientific estimation on how long would it be before the temp. drops to an extent that we cannot survive any more??

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The universe is expanding OUTSIDE of gravitationally bound systems such as our galaxy. I recommend the link in my signature.

Likes 1oldman2
Just an idle question: Does the universe expand at the same rate everywhere? We know that spacetime is not the same everywhere, so with that I began to wonder about the possible variables of expansion.

Burnerjack said:
Just an idle question: Does the universe expand at the same rate everywhere? We know that spacetime is not the same everywhere, so with that I began to wonder about the possible variables of expansion.
Outside of bound systems, the rate of expansion is uniform, but bear in mind that what that means is that things twice as far away are receding at twice the recession velocity. The "rate" is a rate per unit distance and it's something like 1/144th of a percent per million years, so locally (e.g. between nearby galactic clusters) it exhibits little effect but on large cosmological scales it's enormous and the things at the far reaches of the Observable Universe are receding at something like 3c.

phinds said:
locally (e.g. between nearby galactic clusters) it exhibits little effect but on large cosmological scales it's enormous

Like a rubber band being pulled at both ends? In that as it is pulled, the ends(large cosmological scale) stretch sooner than the rest and stretches more, "faster" than the rest of the band and as it is pulled, the center of the band(your "locally") flexes the least and flexes last, approximately?

phinds said:
and the things at the far reaches of the Observable Universe are receding at something like 3c.

This is where I'm looking for something good to "chew" on for a while that explains how the far reaches are receding at 3c, something that explains exactly in detail how they are doing that considering c being the "cosmic speed limit". I understand that it isn't exactly a movement or a speed thing but that doesn't quite do it for me.

Droidriven said:
Like a rubber band being pulled at both ends? In that as it is pulled, the ends(large cosmological scale) stretch sooner than the rest and stretches more, "faster" than the rest of the band and as it is pulled, the center of the band(your "locally") flexes the least and flexes last, approximately?
Sort of, yeah. Sections of the band (bound galactic clusters) don't stretch at all.
This is where I'm looking for something good to "chew" on for a while that explains how the far reaches are receding at 3c, something that explains exactly in detail how they are doing that considering c being the "cosmic speed limit". I understand that it isn't exactly a movement or a speed thing but that doesn't quite do it for me.
There's nothing at all odd about it. There is no proper motion involved so no speed limit is broken.

They say you can find the age of the universe with the expansion (Hubbles constant), when I tried I got over 14 billion years, must have done something wrong.

kenny1999 said:
Is the universe now expanding? Hawking said it could be a matter of expansion and contraction. Like that paddle and ball thing. It may stretch out and be pulled back in. It sounds better when he says it though. :)

In that case, the Earth should be spinning away from the Sun right?

I've heard that the moon is leaving the Earth 4cm-5cm every year

If we are spinning away from the Sun, average temp. on the Earth must be decreasing

Is there any scientific estimation on how long would it be before the temp. drops to an extent that we cannot survive any more??

A number of posts advancing and discussing speculative personal theories have been removed.

Everyone: Please remember the Physics Forums rules prohibiting such postings, and if you do see one please report it instead of replying. The mentors are NOT paid based on the number of posts we remove, so you're not doing us any favors when you give us more work to do.

Likes Imager and berkeman

1. How do we know that the universe is expanding?

Scientists have observed that the light from distant galaxies is shifted towards the red end of the light spectrum. This is known as redshift, and it is caused by the expansion of the universe. The farther away a galaxy is, the greater its redshift. This phenomenon provides strong evidence that the universe is expanding.

2. Is the Earth moving away from the Sun?

No, the Earth is not moving away from the Sun due to universe expansion. The gravitational pull between the Earth and the Sun is much stronger than the force of the expanding universe. This means that the Earth and the Sun will remain in their current orbits.

3. Will the Earth eventually be pulled away from the Sun by universe expansion?

No, the Earth will not be pulled away from the Sun by universe expansion. As stated before, the gravitational pull between the Earth and the Sun is much stronger than the force of universe expansion. This means that the Earth will continue to orbit the Sun as it always has.

4. How does the expansion of the universe affect the Earth?

The expansion of the universe does not directly affect the Earth. The Earth is bound by the laws of gravity and will continue to orbit the Sun as it always has. However, the expansion of the universe does affect the overall structure of the universe and the distances between galaxies.

5. Will the Earth eventually be affected by the expansion of the universe?

No, the Earth will not be directly affected by the expansion of the universe. However, in billions of years, the expansion of the universe may cause the Earth to be further away from other galaxies and potentially reduce the number of stars visible in the night sky. But the Earth's orbit and position in the solar system will not be affected.