1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unknown X in rectangle

1. Oct 18, 2013 #1
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2013 #2

adjacent

Gold Member

I haven't studied parabolas but that's a parabola with a depth of 3m and arc length of 6m.So maybe you can then find the apparent length.Then you can find x.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  4. Oct 18, 2013 #3
    i've been on it for a while now,.i'll like to see your attempt

5. Oct 18, 2013 #4

adjacent

Gold Member

I don't know anything about parabolas yet.Maybe you can use some equation relating arc length,depth and apparent lenght

6. Oct 18, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm assuming that what you drew is a parabola. Is that a reasonable assumption?

If so, the equation of your parabola is y = cx2, assuming that the vertex is at (0, 0). From the drawing, the points (b, 3) and (-b, 3) are on the parabola.

The arc length shown in the drawing is the length along the curve between (-b, 3) and (b, 3). Due to symmetry, we can work with half this length, or 3 units.

Since y = cx2, then y' = 2cx, which I will use in the formula for arc length. Also, since (b, 3) is a point on the curve, then 3 = c*b2.

This equation equates the arc length integral with the known length:
    $$ \int_0^b \sqrt{1 + (2cx)^2}dx = 3$$

This gives you two equations in the unknowns b and c, so it should be possible to determine b and c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook