Unknown X in Rectangle - Mystery Image

• Thread starter meshac A
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rectangle
In summary, the conversation discusses a parabola with a depth of 3m and arc length of 6m. The equation of the parabola is y = cx2 and the points (b, 3) and (-b, 3) are on the parabola. Using the known arc length, an equation can be formed to solve for the unknowns b and c.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I haven't studied parabolas but that's a parabola with a depth of 3m and arc length of 6m.So maybe you can then find the apparent length.Then you can find x.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
i've been on it for a while now,.i'll like to see your attempt

meshac A said:
i've been on it for a while now,.i'll like to see your attempt
I don't know anything about parabolas yet.Maybe you can use some equation relating arc length,depth and apparent lenght

meshac A said:
I'm assuming that what you drew is a parabola. Is that a reasonable assumption?

If so, the equation of your parabola is y = cx2, assuming that the vertex is at (0, 0). From the drawing, the points (b, 3) and (-b, 3) are on the parabola.

The arc length shown in the drawing is the length along the curve between (-b, 3) and (b, 3). Due to symmetry, we can work with half this length, or 3 units.

Since y = cx2, then y' = 2cx, which I will use in the formula for arc length. Also, since (b, 3) is a point on the curve, then 3 = c*b2.

This equation equates the arc length integral with the known length:
$$ \int_0^b \sqrt{1 + (2cx)^2}dx = 3$$

This gives you two equations in the unknowns b and c, so it should be possible to determine b and c.

1. What is Unknown X in Rectangle - Mystery Image?

Unknown X in Rectangle - Mystery Image is a scientific phenomenon that involves a mysterious shape or object appearing within a rectangular shape. It is often seen in photographs or satellite images and has puzzled scientists for years.

2. How common is Unknown X in Rectangle - Mystery Image?

Unknown X in Rectangle - Mystery Image is not a common occurrence and is rarely seen. It is a rare and unexplained phenomenon that has only been observed a handful of times.

3. What causes Unknown X in Rectangle - Mystery Image?

The exact cause of Unknown X in Rectangle - Mystery Image is still unknown and is a subject of ongoing scientific research. Some theories suggest that it could be a natural phenomenon, while others believe it could be a result of human activity.

4. Is Unknown X in Rectangle - Mystery Image dangerous?

There is no evidence to suggest that Unknown X in Rectangle - Mystery Image is dangerous. It is a visual anomaly and does not pose any threat to human health or the environment.

5. How can we study Unknown X in Rectangle - Mystery Image?

Scientists use various methods to study Unknown X in Rectangle - Mystery Image, such as analyzing photographs and satellite images, conducting field research, and using advanced imaging technologies. However, due to its rarity, studying this phenomenon can be challenging.