Unlocking the Potential of Transgenic Mice Models for Virus Research

• Thread starter TytoAlba95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, option (b) is the better choice because it allows for a mouse model that can be infected with the poliovirus, which is the goal of the project.
TytoAlba95
Homework Statement
While attempting to create a model of poliomyelitis in mice, it was found that the mice cannot be infected with the said virus. Since human beings are susceptible to this viral infection, which kind of transgenic mice should be generated to have a transgenic mouse model that can be infected with polio virus. Select the right approach from below:
Relevant Equations
a. A mouse expressing human receptor gene which makes cell surface protein for docking and internalization of polio virus.
b. A mouse expressing human receptor gene which makes cell surface protein for docking and internalization of polio virus along with a gene designed to express surface protein of this virus at puberty.

Ans:a
I think the answer should be (b) and not (a) because to study the mice model, there should be a gene designed to express the protein of this virus on the cell surface (but I don't know the what it has got to do with puberty ).

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what the problem is, a. and b. differ only by that puberty part - so why would you choose b over a?

Borek said:
Not sure what the problem is, a. and b. differ only by that puberty part - so why would you choose b over a?

Option b. is slightly different from a. , (b) talks about incorporating a gene (MHC class II,I guess) that will express the viral peptide after internalization and processing of the virus particle.

I don't understand what puberty has to do with this. May be the puberty part rules out option (b).

Perhaps you misquoted the question then, I fail to see a single letter by which these things differ:

a. A mouse expressing human receptor gene which makes cell surface protein for docking and internalization of polio virus

b. A mouse expressing human receptor gene which makes cell surface protein for docking and internalization of polio virus

Borek said:
Perhaps you misquoted the question then, I fail to see a single letter by which these things differ:
I don't know why it is not displaying correctly to you.
I quoted the following two options:

a. A mouse expressing human receptor gene which makes cell surface protein for docking and internalization of polio virus.
b. A mouse expressing human receptor gene which makes cell surface protein for docking and internalization of polio virus along with a gene designed to express surface protein of this virus at puberty.

The key part to the question is this:
SanjuktaGhosh said:
which kind of transgenic mice should be generated to have a transgenic mouse model that can be infected (my emphasis) with polio virus.
If you’re trying to build an animal model of infection, do you want the mouse to express the viral protein?

TeethWhitener said:
If you’re trying to build an animal model of infection, do you want the mouse to express the viral protein?

Yes, I would like the viral protein to be expressed to study how the animal's immunity handle's the infection(which I believe would be the aim of building the model).

Here’s how I’m reading the question: you want to build a mouse model that can be infected with the poliovirus. It’s clear that you will want to express the human receptor protein on the mouse cells’ surface, so that when the virus is introduced, it will be able to dock with and infect the model organism’s cells. If the mouse is also expressing viral surface protein, what advantage does that give you for reaching your goal? I’m assuming you aren’t interested in immune response yet, you’re just interested in seeing if the cell can be infected with the virus. Having a viral protein that’s expressed both by the virus and by the model organism is only going to confuse things.

TeethWhitener said:
Here’s how I’m reading the question: you want to build a mouse model that can be infected with the poliovirus. It’s clear that you will want to express the human receptor protein on the mouse cells’ surface, so that when the virus is introduced, it will be able to dock with and infect the model organism’s cells. If the mouse is also expressing viral surface protein, what advantage does that give you for reaching your goal? I’m assuming you aren’t interested in immune response yet, you’re just interested in seeing if the cell can be infected with the virus. Having a viral protein that’s expressed both by the virus and by the model organism is only going to confuse things.

I see your point. Thank you.

What are transgenic mice models?

Transgenic mice models are mice that have been genetically modified to carry specific genes from other organisms, allowing researchers to study the effects of these genes on the mice. These models are commonly used in scientific research, including virus research.

How are transgenic mice models created?

Transgenic mice models are created through a process called transgenesis, where a foreign gene is inserted into the mouse's genome using techniques such as microinjection or gene editing. The mouse embryos are then implanted into a surrogate mother and the offspring are screened for the presence of the foreign gene.

What makes transgenic mice models useful for virus research?

Transgenic mice models allow researchers to study the effects of specific genes on the development and progression of viruses. These models can also be used to test potential treatments or vaccines for viral infections. Additionally, transgenic mice models can mimic human diseases more closely than traditional mouse models, making them valuable tools for understanding how viruses affect humans.

What are the limitations of transgenic mice models in virus research?

One limitation of transgenic mice models is that they can be expensive and time-consuming to create. Additionally, the genetic modifications made to the mice may not accurately reflect the natural genetic variations found in humans, which can affect the results of virus research. Furthermore, transgenic mice models may not fully replicate the human immune system, which can impact the effectiveness of treatments and vaccines tested on these models.

What advancements have been made in transgenic mice models for virus research?

In recent years, advancements in gene editing technologies such as CRISPR have made it easier and more efficient to create transgenic mice models. This has allowed for the creation of more complex and precise models, making them even more valuable for virus research. Additionally, the use of humanized transgenic mice models, where the mouse genome is replaced with a human genome, has shown promise in better replicating human immune responses to viruses.