Deriving Lorentz Transforms: Unnecessary Step?

In summary, Ray D'Iverno's "Introducing Einstein's Relativity" step that doesn't seem necessary to me is to derive the Lorentz transformations from the postulate that the speed of light is the same in all reference frames. Taking a rest frame and a frame moving with respect to it, he shows that when their origins meet a pulse of light moves out as a sphere. Combining the equations gives that n=±1, and in the limit as v→0 the two frames coincide so I' → I. So taking n=1 is a necessary step in the derivation.
kmm
I'm going through Ray D'Iverno's "Introducing Einstein's Relativity", and there is a step he makes in deriving the Lorentz transformations that doesn't seem necessary to me. So I'm not sure what I'm missing. He derives them from Einsteins postulates of relativity. From the postulate that the speed of light is the same in all reference frames, we take a rest frame S and a frame moving with respect to S, S'. When their origins meet, a pulse of light moves out from their origins as a sphere. The events constituting this sphere satisfy the equations I=x2+y2+z2-c2t2=0 for the rest frame and I'=x'2+y'2+z'2-c2t'2=0 for the moving frame. He sets these equations equal and derives the Lorentz transformations, which is pretty straight forward. The step that I'm not sure about is before setting I=I', he says, "..it follows that under a transformation connecting S and S', I=0 ⇔ I'=0, and since the transformation is linear.." (by the first postulate) "we may conclude I=nI'." He then goes on to show how we can reverse the roles of S and S' giving I'=nI and combining the equations gives, n2=1 ⇒ n=±1, and in the limit as v→0 the two frames coincide so I' → I so we must take n=1. It's at this point that he sets I=I'. That's fine with me, I just don't understand why all of that was necessary in showing I=I'. Why couldn't we have just concluded that I=I' when we said earlier that I=0 and I'=0? I'm suspicious that there is some necessary mathematical rigor that I'm missing, in this step.

Physics news on Phys.org
kmm said:
Why couldn't we have just concluded that I=I' when we said earlier that I=0 and I'=0?

Because just knowing that l=l' when both are zero does not guarantee that l=l' when both are not zero.

kmm said:
Why couldn't we have just concluded that I=I' when we said earlier that I=0 and I'=0? I'm suspicious that there is some necessary mathematical rigor that I'm missing, in this step.
What other reason would you have had for concluding that I'=I? Given that I=0 iff I'=0, you could have, for example, I=-3I'.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Because just knowing that l=l' when both are zero does not guarantee that l=l' when both are not zero.

bcrowell said:
What other reason would you have had for concluding that I'=I? Given that I=0 iff I'=0, you could have, for example, I=-3I'.

Ah of course, thanks.

FAQ: Deriving Lorentz Transforms: Unnecessary Step?

1. What is the purpose of deriving Lorentz Transforms?

The purpose of deriving Lorentz Transforms is to mathematically describe the relationship between space and time in the theory of special relativity. This allows us to understand how measurements of space and time are affected by an observer's motion and the speed of light.

2. Why is deriving Lorentz Transforms considered an unnecessary step?

Some argue that deriving Lorentz Transforms is unnecessary because the equations have already been established and can be used directly. However, others believe that deriving them helps to better understand the underlying principles and assumptions of special relativity.

3. Are Lorentz Transforms the only way to describe space and time in special relativity?

No, there are other mathematical frameworks that can be used to describe space and time in special relativity, such as Minkowski spacetime diagrams. However, Lorentz Transforms are the most commonly used and well-known approach.

4. Can Lorentz Transforms be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Lorentz Transforms can be applied to any type of motion, as long as the speed of light is constant and the laws of physics are the same for all observers.

5. How are Lorentz Transforms related to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Lorentz Transforms were developed by Hendrik Lorentz and are a key component of Einstein's theory of special relativity. They help to mathematically explain the principles of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction.