Unpaid Internship: intern or work experience?

In summary, the individual is applying for jobs and has two strong unpaid internships. They are unsure if they should use the term "work" or "interned" in their cover letter and resume. They want to be ethical but also want to showcase their full potential in a tough job market. The advice given is to use "work" as a verb throughout the document and mention the internship at the beginning.
Spirit
Hello,

I'm in the process to apply for several jobs tomorrow and next week. I have two strong internships even though they are unpaid. In the linguistic sense; I was working in demanding tasks. However, can I say in my cover letter that I 'worked' or should I explicitly say I 'interned'? In my resume, I have an explicit category for internship and another one for work experience.

I want to be ethical and don't want to play tricks. At the same time, I want to express my full potential as the market is tough these days.

Thanks in advance,
-Spirit,

Physics news on Phys.org
You had internships and you don't want to play tricks, then go for internship. But it sounds like you want to sound like you got paid without being technically incorrect. If so, play a trick and use 'work'.

Thanks aostraff,

Actually most of the work I was doing, during the period when I have interned, was no less that the work done by many others who were paid to work at the same place.

In other words, my question is: if the word 'work' is used as a verb to describe what I was doing at an unpaid internship, will it be proper? or should I always use 'interned'?

I am not a native speaker of English, and I want to make sure my word usage is correct and at the same time not hiding my true potential.

Oh. I think it's fine to just use 'work' as a verb throughout the document. It sounds more natural. You might want to say you did an internship at the beginning.

Related to Unpaid Internship: intern or work experience?

1. What is an unpaid internship?

An unpaid internship is a work experience opportunity in which an individual gains practical skills and knowledge in a particular field without receiving monetary compensation.

2. Is it legal to have an unpaid internship?

Yes, unpaid internships are legal under certain conditions. The U.S. Department of Labor has established six criteria that an unpaid internship must meet in order to be legal, including that the internship is primarily for the benefit of the intern, and that the intern does not replace regular employees.

3. What are the benefits of participating in an unpaid internship?

Unpaid internships can provide valuable hands-on experience, networking opportunities, and the chance to explore a potential career path. They can also enhance a resume and make a candidate more competitive in the job market.

4. Are unpaid internships worth it?

This is a subjective question and the answer may vary depending on an individual's goals and circumstances. Unpaid internships may be worth it for those seeking experience and connections in a specific field, but they may not be feasible for those who need to earn income or have financial obligations.

5. How can I find unpaid internship opportunities?

There are many ways to find unpaid internship opportunities, such as through online job search engines, university career centers, and networking events. It is also helpful to reach out directly to companies or organizations in your field of interest to inquire about potential internships.