Upgrading Windows before Logging on to the Web

In summary: There are a number of vendors that will sell you a computer with Linux pre-installed. I was going to come here and say that it is not worth it because in the past you paid more for the Linux PC because the vendors can't get paid for the crapware on Linux.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
Just curious, how can Windows install upgrades before I set up a web connection? How are the upgrades uploaded to my PC?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Its possible that the base OS loaded on your machine had later upgrades which the manufacturer added to the base distribution. In this way, they can remain current without going through an actual install and let you do the work when you unbox the machine.

Likes WWGD
jedishrfu said:
Its possible that the base OS loaded on your machine had later upgrades which the manufacturer added to the base distribution. In this way, they can remain current without going through an actual install and let you do the work when you unbox the machine.
I see, so these are " time-unlocked" upgrades? Still, I assume there will be some point at which these run out and it is necessary for the upgrades to be uploaded. Or maybe some are unlocked and others , e.g., containing security patch ups, must be uploaded, since I doubt all possible vulnerabilities can be predicted.

What?

No, computers built in January have OS 9.9 but then in March MS released some patches and so they are added to the OS image copied to the March built computers and so on.

So when you unbox and start the install process they are ready to be installed after the OS is configured.

But I bought mine in January 2015, with 8.1 .

WWGD said:
But I bought mine in January 2015, with 8.1 .
Windows 8.1 was released in October 2013, it is likely the factory image included updates to the OS from late 2014.

OK, sorry for my dumbness here @jedishrfu , the whole factory Image copy thing is new to me ( I am still clueless about it), it threw me of, did not know it was available before 9.9 OS.

There is another possible explanation . Windows often downloads updates in background mode . Some of these upgrades are installed immediately , some get installed at shut down and some sit there until the next time that you start up the computer .

Likes WWGD
The factory image thing is how MS got its OS everywhere so pervasively. It cut out all other possible OS installs. You can’t buy a computer today without a preinstalled OS which means each vendor charges an extra $50 or so for something you don’t need if you plan to go Linux and there’s nothing you can do about it unless if you decide to build your own computer.

Likes WWGD
jedishrfu said:
You can’t buy a computer today without a preinstalled OS which means each vendor charges an extra $50 or so for something you don’t need if you plan to go Linux and there’s nothing you can do about it unless if you decide to build your own computer.

There are a number of vendors that will sell you a computer with Linux pre-installed. I was going to come here and say that it is not worth it because in the past you paid more for the Linux PC because the vendors can't get paid for the crapware on Linux.

I just looked up Dell laptops and the selection chart had two systems at the same price nearly identical. One was Linux and the other Windows. The Linux one had twice the storage. Those were the only differences.

BoB

1. What is "Upgrading Windows before Logging on to the Web"?

"Upgrading Windows before Logging on to the Web" refers to the process of updating or installing new software or features on a Windows operating system before connecting to the internet.

2. Why is it important to upgrade Windows before logging on to the web?

It is important to upgrade Windows before logging on to the web to ensure that your computer has the latest security patches and updates. This helps to protect your system from potential cyber threats and vulnerabilities.

3. How do I upgrade Windows before logging on to the web?

To upgrade Windows before logging on to the web, you can go to the "Settings" menu on your computer and select "Update & Security." From there, you can check for any available updates and follow the instructions to install them.

4. Can I still use my computer while upgrading Windows before logging on to the web?

Yes, you can still use your computer while upgrading Windows before logging on to the web. However, it is recommended to avoid using any internet-connected applications or services until the upgrade process is complete.

5. How often should I upgrade Windows before logging on to the web?

It is recommended to regularly check for updates and upgrade Windows before logging on to the web at least once a month. However, you may need to upgrade more frequently if there are critical security updates available.