Uploading Program Over Allowed File Size: Try My New Program

• Thread starter Nothing000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, the author created a program to calculate the length of a right triangle. He included source code and a picture of the triangle in the program. He also wants the program to draw a picture of a triangle that is proportional to the values of the triangle.
Nothing000
I created a program and would like to have some of you guys try it out to see if it works properly. How do I go about uploading the program if it is bigger than the allowed upload size? It is about 2 MB.

Technology news on Phys.org
Use a third party service to host it and put the link here.

Excellent idea. Here is the link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/c93slq

It is a very simple program that can find the length of the sides of a right traingle by using the pythagorean theorum and by a little trigonometry. I made the program for my grandpa because he is building a barn an asked me how you calculate the length of a hypotonoose of a right triangle. He has no training in any math beyond arithmatic, so I decided to create a program where he can just put in the numbers and it will spit out the length without him having to do any math. This is the first real program I have ever made.
Try it out and let me know if you see any problems with it. Check out some of the other files in the folder too. I put the source code in there. And there is a picture of the triangle. And I also put some simple instructions for the program in there.

Last edited:
You actually have to look at the picture of the triangle before you use the program. It doesn't really make sense unless you refer to the picture. I am going to try to incorporate that picture into my program in a few days. I also would like for the program to draw a picure of a triangle that is proportional to the values of the triangle.

Last edited:
Hmm, I can't compile it. I did notice you misspelled "length" in one of your lines.

you should just be able to open the file named "Joshuas Pythagorean Program.exe". You shouldn't have to compile anything. I already comiled it into a exe program.

I don't use Windows.

Oh. What do you have to do to compile it with linux? Do you just copy the source code and paste it into a compiler? I used Just Basic v1.01 to compile it and I am having no trouble with it. It works fine. If there is anything I can do to get it working for you I would be happy to do it. I really want some other people to try this program before I give it to my grandpa just to make sure it works properly.

What do I do with a .rar? I guess I don't have the right unpacking s/w.

You need win RAR. I will give you a link, hold on one second.

Program seems to work - though I have not rigourously testred the values. But I would be concerned about how "usable" it is for your grampa. That's a whole lot of boxes to type in and click to get the answer. You want to make the interface as intuitve as possible.

I know this is your first program, are you up to some more coding?

1] Don't ask, just provide the answer in both feet and inches. That saves one step AND gives him a choice of info.
2] As far as he is concerned, he does not care about a, b and c. All he cares about is base, height and hypotenuse, or possibly an angle. There is no need to ask him to enter a, b or c. That's a bit more coding, but it would be worth it.
3] Eventually (after you're more accomplished), your ideal interface will have no questions at all. It will display a triangle with some textboxes right in it. He will merely enter the values in the appropriate box by locating them visually rather than textually.

Last edited:
Just Basic is only for Windows. I thought you were using Liberty Basic which does have a Linux version. O well

Oh, sorry dduardo, I was unaware that Just Basic was only for windows. Maybee you should think about switching to Windows. Just kidding.
And hey Dave, excellent ideas. Thank you very much for the input. I think the hardest part of writting a program is figuring out how to make it easy to use and understand for someone else. At least that is the hardest part for me, but like I said this is my first real program. The only other programs I have written so far have been along the lines of the famous "HELLO WORLD" program.

Nothing000, perhaps you should think about porting your program to Python.

http://www.python.org/

You can also use pygtk if you want a frontend gui.

http://www.pygtk.org/

I use Python all the time. It is easy to pick up and can be used on most platforms.

ranger, your code is a mess.

Last edited:
dduardo said:
ranger, your code is a mess.

Is it really that bad :biggrin:

The guys at the site gave me some tips on cleaning up the code but I never uploaded the corrected version - mostly because I never corrected it o:)

I actually did a similar web based program:
http://www.bloo.us/projects/triangle.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to think that this is a pretty common beginner program to make. It is easy enough for a beginer to wrap there mind around, but difficult enough to challenge them and make them learn more about programming while actaully programming.

So my grandpa won't even look at the program. I don't really know why, but I am a little frustrated.

Related to Uploading Program Over Allowed File Size: Try My New Program

What is the maximum allowed file size for uploading a program?

The maximum allowed file size for uploading a program may vary depending on the platform or server you are using. Typically, it ranges from 2MB to 20MB. It is important to check the specifications of the platform or server before attempting to upload a program.

Why am I getting an error message when trying to upload my program?

The most common reason for getting an error message when trying to upload a program is that the file size exceeds the maximum allowed limit. Other possible reasons include network connectivity issues, server errors, or incorrect file format. It is recommended to check the error message and troubleshoot accordingly.

Can I compress my program to reduce its file size before uploading?

Yes, you can compress your program to reduce its file size before uploading. This can be done using various compression tools such as WinZip or 7-zip. However, make sure that the compressed file is still within the allowed file size limit for uploading.

Is there a way to increase the maximum allowed file size for uploading a program?

The maximum allowed file size for uploading a program is usually set by the platform or server to optimize performance and prevent overloading. It is not recommended to increase the limit as it may cause issues for other users. However, you can contact the platform or server administrator to request for a temporary increase in the limit.

What should I do if my program is larger than the maximum allowed file size?

If your program is larger than the maximum allowed file size, you can try compressing it or splitting it into smaller files. You can also consider using a different platform or server with a higher file size limit. Alternatively, you can optimize your program to reduce its file size before attempting to upload it.