1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upper & Lower Partitions

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose f:[a,b] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\Re[/tex] is bounded and that the sequences {[tex]U_{P_{n}}[/tex](f)}, {[tex]L_{P_{n}}[/tex](f)} are covergent and have the same limit L. Prove that f is integrable on [a,b].

2. Relevant equations

[tex]U_{P_{n}}[/tex](f) is the upper sum of f relative to P, and [tex]L_{P_{n}}[/tex](f) is the lower sum of f relative to P, where in both cases P is the partition of [a,b].

Also a hint was to examine the sequence {[tex]a_{n}[/tex]} where [tex]a_{n}[/tex] = [tex]U_{P_{n}}[/tex](f) - [tex]L_{P_{n}}[/tex](f)

3. The attempt at a solution

Didn't figure out the full proof, only parts:

I started with having P = {[tex]x_{0}[/tex],..., [tex]x_{n}[/tex]}, where [tex]x_{0}[/tex] = a, and [tex]x_{n}[/tex] = b. And given that they are both convergent and have the same limit, using the hint I can show that they both converge to [tex]a_{n}[/tex], but I got stuck after that.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2
    It's integrable if a single value exists between the two sequences as n tends to infinity, right? I'd look at this as a nested sequence of intervals, where the length of the nth interval as n approaches infinity is 0 (because the two sequences have the same limit), and from there it should be easy.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?