Decomposing a Matrix into Jordan Normal Form

• Thread starter PirateFan308
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the problem is to find a matrix X such that X^{-1}AX = \begin{pmatrix}3 & 1 & 0\\0 & 3 & 1\\0 & 0 & 3\end{pmatrix}. After attempting to solve the problem, it is found that there does not exist an invertible matrix X that satisfies the given equation, making the problem unsolvable. However, this is likely a problem involving the Jordan Normal form of the matrix, and every square matrix has a Jordan decomposition.
PirateFan308

Homework Statement

Let [itex] A = \begin{pmatrix}4 & 1 & 0\\0 & 3 & 1\\-1 & -1 & 2\end{pmatrix}[/itex], which has characteristic polynomial [itex](3-x)^{3}[/itex]. Find a matrix X such that:

[itex]X^{-1}AX = \begin{pmatrix}3 & 1 & 0\\0 & 3 & 1\\0 & 0 & 3\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If [itex]X^{-1}AX = \begin{pmatrix}3 & 1 & 0\\0 & 3 & 1\\0 & 0 & 3\end{pmatrix} =: B[/itex]

AX = XB

Suppose that the columns of X are [itex]v_{1}, v_{2}, v_{3}[/itex]
The first column of B has the coordinates of [itex]Av_{1}[/itex]

[itex]Av_{1}=3v_{1}+0v_{2}+0v_{3}=3v_{3}~~~~(A-3I)v_{1}=0[/itex]

[itex] v_{1} = \begin{pmatrix}a\\d\\g\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

[itex] (A-3I) = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\\-1 & -1 & -1\end{pmatrix} → \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\\0 & 0 & -1\end{pmatrix} → \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\\0 & 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

let d=1, a=-1, g=0

[itex] v_{1} = \begin{pmatrix}-1\\1\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

[itex]Av_{2} = 1v_{1}+3v_{2}+0v_{3} = v_{1} + 3v_{2}[/itex]

[itex](A-3I)v_{2} = v_{1}[/itex]

[itex] v_{2} = \begin{pmatrix}b\\e\\h\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

[itex] \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\\-1 & -1 & -1\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}b\\e\\h\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}-1\\1\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

[itex] \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & | ~~-1\\0 & 0 & 1 & |~~ 1\\-1 & -1 & -1 & |~~ 0\end{pmatrix} → \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & | ~~-1\\0 & 0 & 1 & | ~~1\\0 & 0 & -1 & | ~~-1\end{pmatrix} → \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & | ~~-1\\0 & 0 & 1 & |~~ 1\\0 & 0 & 0 & |~~ 0\end{pmatrix} [/itex]

[itex] v_{2} = \begin{pmatrix}0\\-1\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

[itex]Av_{3} = 0v_{1}+1v_{2}+3v_{3} = v_{2} + 3v_{3}[/itex]

[itex](A-3I)v_{3} = v_{2}[/itex]

[itex] v_{3} = \begin{pmatrix}c\\f\\i\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

[itex] \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\\-1 & -1 & -1\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}c\\f\\i\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}0\\-1\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

[itex] \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & | ~~0\\0 & 0 & 1 & | ~~-1\\-1 & -1 & -1 & |~~ 0\end{pmatrix} → \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & |~~ 0\\0 & 0 & 1 & | ~~-1\\0 & 0 & -1 & |~~ \end{pmatrix} → \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & |~~ 0\\0 & 0 & 1 & | ~~-1\\0 & 0 & 0 & | ~~-1\end{pmatrix} [/itex]

Therefore, there does not exist an invertible matrix X because the last matrix can not be solved to get [itex]v_{3}[/itex] so that X can be created.

I don't think this is right as my teacher generally doesn't give us 'unsolvable' questions. I'm not sure what I've done wrong, and I've tried it a few different ways and I can never get it to work. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've only just finished my linear algebra course. This looks like you're being given the Jordan Normal form of the matrix, and asked to find the decomposition. Every square matrix has a Jordan decomposition.

1. What is an upper triangular matrix?

An upper triangular matrix is a square matrix in which all the elements below the main diagonal (the diagonal from the upper left to the lower right) are zero. The elements on or above the main diagonal can be any real or complex numbers.

2. How is an upper triangular matrix different from a lower triangular matrix?

An upper triangular matrix only has elements below the main diagonal that are equal to zero, while a lower triangular matrix only has elements above the main diagonal that are equal to zero. Both types of matrices can have non-zero elements on the main diagonal.

3. What are the applications of upper triangular matrices?

Upper triangular matrices are commonly used in solving linear systems of equations, as well as in diagonalizing matrices and finding determinants. They are also useful in representing sparse matrices, which have a large number of zero elements.

4. Can an upper triangular matrix be inverted?

Yes, an upper triangular matrix can be inverted if all the elements on the main diagonal are non-zero. The inverse of an upper triangular matrix is also an upper triangular matrix.

5. How can an upper triangular matrix be created?

An upper triangular matrix can be created by filling in the elements on or above the main diagonal with any desired values, and filling in the elements below the main diagonal with zeros. It can also be obtained by performing operations such as row operations on a square matrix to eliminate the non-zero elements below the main diagonal.