1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upward Force required to break static friction

1. Jul 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the upward force required to make pipe start to move?

There is a fixed point and a 36 inch shaft. The force would be applied 36 inches away to the point. The load is 1700lbs. The end point only needs to come up enough so that the static friction of the pipe is broke so that they start to roll and will be close together.

2. Relevant equations
    downward force= 1700lbs
    static friction=.78 (not sure if this is right)

3. The attempt at a solution

n=1700lbs*9.8

Forceup=?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2011 #2

lewando

Gold Member

Welcome to PF! Unfortunately, your question is poorly phrased--a picture would surely be most helpful. Assuming you will provide that, do show the work you have done, so help can be provided, per PF rules.

4. Jul 26, 2011 #3
    here is the only pic i have. from the little circles is the 36 inches. I just need enough upward lift and force so that the pipes start to move. Hope this better explains my problem.

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. Jul 28, 2011 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use one of the equilibrium equations (which one?) to solve for the force at which the shaft will just start to rotate. Assume the pipes are equally spaced. The pipes will start to roll when rolling friction is exceeded, at an angle that is not being asked for, but which could be found if you knew the rolling friction coefficient. When the force is given in pounds, do not multiply by 9.8.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook