US-China Relations: Should the US Support Taiwan Independence?

• News
  • Thread starter Nusc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    China
In summary: Google posted in their blog that they and 30 other companies have been hacked recently in a very sophisticated attack. China has been known to hack US military networks before. I'm not sure if this constitutes war. And you can't even meet with Dali Lama, someone who never harmed a soul, before being condemned by China.
Physics news on Phys.org
Exodus, Chapter 23:22, "I will be an enemy to your enemies and will oppose those who oppose you."

I don't care about passages from the Bible.

How does helping Taiwan give the U.S. any economic advantage?

Taiwan makes ICS arms. good enough reason for me.

MotoH said:
Taiwan makes ICS arms. good enough reason for me.

What does ICS stand for and what are ICS arms?

"Enemy's Enemy is a Friend" ;)

If the United States can have a communist country 90 miles off its coast, why can't China have a democratic country 180 miles off its coast?

The key words here are:

ECONOMIC ADVANTAGEIf you guys are unwilling to give any thoughtful opinions, don't bother writing.

Nusc said:
What does ICS stand for and what are ICS arms?

A Taiwanese airsoft rifle manufacturer, one of the big 4 left in southwest Asia after the great Chinese airsoft purge of 08

Nusc said:
I don't care about passages from the Bible.
Read it anyway. It isn't religious in nature and is a very good explanation.
How does helping Taiwan give the U.S. any economic advantage?
Taiwan makes good electronics, but I don't think the economic advantage is the primary reason. The cynic in me would say the answer mgb gave is probably the correct one, but the idealist in me would say that we support Taiwan because it is the right thing to do.
The key words here are:

ECONOMIC ADVANTAGE

If you guys are unwilling to give any thoughtful opinions, don't bother writing.
Why are you artificially constraining the thread to ignore most of the answers to the question you asked? Seems illogical to ask a question and then not want to hear the answers. Why did you even bother asking the question?

It's like asking who the greatest football player of all time is, then after people answer, saying - "oh, I meant NFC only."

Anyway, wiki, of course, has an article about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_China-United_States_relations

Last edited:
Google posted in their blog that they and 30 other companies have been hacked recently in a very sophisticated attack.

Although this is not new. China has hacked US military networks before. I'm not sure if this constitutes war.

And you can't even meet with Dali Lama, someone who never harmed a soul, before being condemned by China.

And you can't even meet with Dali Lama, someone who never harmed a soul,

Watch the Penn&Teller ******** episode titled "Holier than Thou". That changed my view about him.

Related to US-China Relations: Should the US Support Taiwan Independence?

1. What is the current relationship between the US and Taiwan?

The US and Taiwan have a strong unofficial relationship, with the US being one of Taiwan's most important allies. However, the US does not officially recognize Taiwan as an independent country and instead adheres to the "One China" policy, which recognizes the People's Republic of China as the only legitimate government of China.

2. Why is Taiwan's independence a contentious issue?

Taiwan's independence is a contentious issue because of the complicated history between Taiwan and China. Taiwan was previously part of China, but was ruled by different governments after the Chinese Civil War. China considers Taiwan to be a part of its territory and sees any notion of independence as a threat to its sovereignty.

3. Should the US support Taiwan's independence?

This is a complex and debated question. Some argue that the US has a moral obligation to support Taiwan's democratic values and self-determination. Others argue that supporting Taiwan's independence would damage the US-China relationship and potentially lead to a conflict. Ultimately, the US has maintained a delicate balance by supporting Taiwan's security and democracy while also recognizing China's claim over the island.

4. What are the implications of US support for Taiwan independence?

The implications of US support for Taiwan independence could have major impacts on the US-China relationship and global stability. It could potentially lead to a conflict with China, which is a major economic and political power. It could also complicate the US's relationships with other countries, as many countries adhere to the One China policy.

5. How does the US's stance on Taiwan's independence affect other countries?

The US's stance on Taiwan's independence can affect other countries in various ways. Some countries may feel pressure to align with the US and support Taiwan's independence, while others may face backlash from China for doing so. It can also create tensions and divisions within international organizations, as seen with Taiwan's limited participation in the World Health Organization. Overall, the US's stance on Taiwan's independence can have ripple effects on global politics and relationships.