US Death Squads in Iraq: Solution or Escalation?

• News
  • Thread starter the number 42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary: The Pentagon's latest approach is being called "the Salvador option"—and the fact that it is being discussed at all is a measure of just how worried Donald Rumsfeld really is.The Salvador option refers to the fact that in the 1980s the Reagan administration used the same strategy, sending Special Forces teams to advise, support and possibly train Salvadoran paramilitary groups in their fight against the leftist guerilla group, the Farabundo Marti National Liberation Front (FMLN).The Pentagon proposal would send Special Forces teams to advise, support and possibly train Iraqi squads to target Sunni insurgents and their sympathizers, even across the border into Syria. It remains unclear, however, whether this would be a policy of assassination or
the number 42
"What to do about the deepening quagmire of Iraq? The Pentagon’s latest approach is being called "the Salvador option"—and the fact that it is being discussed at all is a measure of just how worried Donald Rumsfeld really is.

... one Pentagon proposal would send Special Forces teams to advise, support and possibly train Iraqi squads ... to target Sunni insurgents and their sympathizers, even across the border into Syria... It remains unclear, however, whether this would be a policy of assassination or so-called "snatch" operations, in which the targets are sent to secret facilities for interrogation. The current thinking is that while U.S. Special Forces would lead operations in, say, Syria, activities inside Iraq itself would be carried out by Iraqi paramilitaries, officials tell NEWSWEEK.

Also being debated is which agency within the U.S. government—the Defense department or CIA—would take responsibility for such an operation".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6802629/site/newsweek/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, teams of soldiers are going to go after insurgents. Could you explain to me the problem here...?

If it means fighting the insurgents with guerilla forces ("own insurgents") who don't really care that much whether any sort of rules of conduct are followed, and these actions are then considered acceptable and legal in Iraq, then it goes way beyond what is being done now. Might even argue that it would "legalize" the abhorrent means the insurgents are applying.

PerennialII said:
If it means fighting the insurgents with guerilla forces ("own insurgents") who don't really care that much whether any sort of rules of conduct are followed... [emphasis added]
Where are you seeing that?

I'm assuming that since they're loaning a term which has been used for example in reference to the actions in Central America in the 80s there might be something in common with the methods they'd be using. The implementation in this case could of course be anything, the dots from some sort of a local police force to death squads in historical sense have in all likelihood been connected by the reporting party.

What exactly is the definition of a Death Squad, just a geurilla group? It's not like the rest of the military is over there with their guns and tanks NOT killing people...

wasteofo2 said:
What exactly is the definition of a Death Squad, just a geurilla group? It's not like the rest of the military is over there with their guns and tanks NOT killing people...
I think it has its roots with the Nazi SS, but doesn't really have a definition. Its not a military term. That's the first part of my objection here...
PerennialII said:
I'm assuming...
...and that's the second.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call myself an expert in giving a definition, but previously they've been adept in conducting assassinations and operations were civilian casualties haven't been a problem. I'd say it's a concept like promoting a civil war by aiding one party against the other with a gloves - off policy. It seems to be an effective way to destroy an internal enemy by promoting its local adversaries against it, and internal conflicts have a way of turning messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerennialII
I'm assuming...
...and that's the second.

I'd say all this is pretty much assumption, it's not like the US officials are going to state "we'll put up death squads".

wasteofo2 said:

:smile: I agree. I was using the term that the BBC World Service news report used. For the record, here is how the Oxford English Dictionary defines
death squad: "an armed paramilitary group formed to murder political enemies, suspected subversives, etc". So a quick look at the definition of paramilitary: "Of or pertaining to an organization, unit, force, etc., whose function or status is ancillary or analogous to that of military forces, but which is not a professional military force".

So it sounds like 'covert operations', a term too shadowy to be found in the OED. But it explains why it might be a bit of a hot potato, as implied in the statement: "Also being debated is which agency within the U.S. government—the Defense department or CIA—would take responsibility for such an operation". http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6802629/site/newsweek/

I have just turned up this description from former CIA director Stansfield Turner: "Covert action is the term that describes our efforts to influence the course of events in a foreign country without our role being known." Turner also notes that covert action "has always been assigned to the CIA to perform, by means of unattributable propaganda, sub rosa political action, or secret paramilitary support." http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/PA118.HTM

You could separate them by their targets.

Death squads target dissidents.

Insurgents target occupying troops and collaborators.

Terrorists target random civilians.

selfAdjoint said:
You could separate them by their targets.

Death squads target dissidents.

Insurgents target occupying troops and collaborators.

Terrorists target random civilians.

If only life were so clear-cut. I reckon the poor old random civilian gets it from all sides, whether claimed accidental or colateral damage or whatever. In any case, it would fly in the face of fact to say that terrorists only target civilians. In the case of Iraq, from the news reports it sounds like the main target is the police.

the number 42 said:
If only life were so clear-cut. I reckon the poor old random civilian gets it from all sides, whether claimed accidental or colateral damage or whatever. In any case, it would fly in the face of fact to say that terrorists only target civilians. In the case of Iraq, from the news reports it sounds like the main target is the police.
The news reports rarely call them terrorists (at least in the US). The usual term is "insurgents." This reflects the nebulousity, but in my opinion, is too soft of a characterization: A significant fraction of those hit (because of the ease of hitting them) are civilians standing in line to apply for police jobs.

erm...I believe that police are technically "civilian" and not considered legitimate military targets... unless they are..military police..which the iraqi police force are not, as opposed to the Iraqi military force..which would be a legitimate military target..

kat said:
erm...I believe that police are technically "civilian" and not considered legitimate military targets... unless they are..military police..which the iraqi police force are not, as opposed to the Iraqi military force..which would be a legitimate military target..

Who makes this distinction? I doubt the insurgents/terrorists do, and ABC News Online certainly don't:
"US troops who opened fire after being targeted by a roadside bomb have killed two Iraqi policemen and two civilians south of Baghdad on Saturday, an Interior Ministry spokesman said on Sunday".
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200501/s1279127.htm

It now looks from a press conference Rumsfeld had, that the Newsweek story may have been "creative", or at least derived from some deep internal memo that was never considered for implementation.

US death squads - how can this be? We only bring democracy and freedom to the oppressed masses.yeah right.wake up guys.

tumor said:
US death squads - how can this be? We only bring democracy and freedom to the oppressed masses.yeah right.wake up guys.

Why is it that whenever the US is brought up you start up with your diatribe? If you want to be taken seriously then you need to keep your objectivity and clearly all you are capable of is objecting to anything the US does in its own best interest. It is incorrect to say that the US is all bad but at every opportunity you try to make it sound like it is.

Sorry for going on but I get pretty sick of reading the same anti-American crap come from the same people time after time. And I know this is the politics forums and if I do not like it I should avoide it blah blah... :mad:

I just do not understand how all these intelligent people on these forums are so completely subjective about everything...

Regards

Townsend said:
Why is it that whenever the US is brought up you start up with your diatribe? If you want to be taken seriously then you need to keep your objectivity and clearly all you are capable of is objecting to anything the US does in its own best interest. It is incorrect to say that the US is all bad but at every opportunity you try to make it sound like it is.

Sorry for going on but I get pretty sick of reading the same anti-American crap come from the same people time after time. And I know this is the politics forums and if I do not like it I should avoide it blah blah... :mad:

I just do not understand how all these intelligent people on these forums are so completely subjective about everything...

Regards

So if wonderful America does death squads in it's own interests it is not to be criticised?

The US used to call itself a city on the hill, a beacon to mankind. What possible gain to our interests can balance the stain of evil we put on ourselves with tactics like death squads.

Townsend said:

:rolleyes:

I, for one, am pro-American, and am against the policies of the Bush administration. It is a cheap rhetorical trick to try to make out that
anti-Bush = anti-US, or that whole of the US supports the policies of the present government.

I am for what the US is supposed to represent in the world: freedom, truth, justice etc. These are things that the Bush administration seem to care little for. Stop resorting to whining about 'why everyone hates us'; this belongs in the kindergarden. If you have an intelligent point to make, make it.

selfAdjoint said:
So if wonderful America does death squads in it's own interests it is not to be criticised?

The US used to call itself a city on the hill, a beacon to mankind. What possible gain to our interests can balance the stain of evil we put on ourselves with tactics like death squads.

I never said any such thing at all nor have I ever implied it. Never not once and if you would be so kind as to stop with assuming you already understand my point of view this would be obvious to you too.

I am all for reasonable criticism of our actions but I am totally getting sick of hearing things such as

"US death squads - how can this be? We only bring democracy and freedom to the oppressed masses.yeah right.wake up guys."

How can this kind of diatribe be construed as anything but diatribe?

the number 42 said:

I, for one, am pro-American, and am against the policies of the Bush administration. It is a cheap rhetorical trick to try to make out that
anti-Bush = anti-US, or that whole of the US supports the policies of the present government.

I am for what the US is supposed to represent in the world: freedom, truth, justice etc. These are things that the Bush administration seem to care little for. Stop resorting to whining about 'why everyone hates us'; this belongs in the kindergarden. If you have an intelligent point to make, make it.

The only cheap tricks going on here is how you are acting like I said stuff I never did. If you would, please show me where I said I was supporting this military action like you are obviously assuming! Could you please elaborate on where I ever implied that anti-bush is the same as anti-American? I also never said that the whole of the US supports the current president and if you really want to know I only support him in so far as I believe in his economic policies and I believe we should have taken out Saddam long ago. I do not know whether it is his arrogance or ignorance but one way or another this particular president finally decided to take a chance and do what I am sure the last two presidents before him wanted to do.

I do not support Bush on about half of his policies and I seriously doubt that very many people completely support him. In fact there are a lot of things I really hate about his administration. But I do realize that not everything he does or even everything any government administration does is all bad. When that is all I hear from people it really starts to get under my skin because it takes away from any kind of intelligent debate that could be happening.

But, since you have already made up your mind and about what I am thinking then feel free to make any assumptions you wish and extrapolate all you want but that kind of childish behavior is way to immature for my way more mature kindergarten ideas!

Regards

Last edited:
Well Townsend you do seem to take every criticism of the US as a rant. Notice I said seem to. Both 42 and I, who are actually pretty thick skinned, took the post we responded to in just that way. Or do you practice bait and switch?

selfAdjoint said:
No, if the issue is misrepresented by an overzealous reporter, that's a problem. Yes, there are legitimate problems with the US - what I (and apparently Townsend) object to is the knee-jerk reactions and misrepresentations by people with an anti-america bias.

selfAdjoint said:
It now looks from a press conference Rumsfeld had, that the Newsweek story may have been "creative", or at least derived from some deep internal memo that was never considered for implementation.

Now that I've thought about it, it would be surprising if the US weren't involved in covert actions. Equally, I'd be amazed if Rumsfeld didn't deny it to the hilt, at least until things in Iraq had cooled down considerably. Do we have anything more concrete than his denials to go on?

the number 42 said:
Now that I've thought about it, it would be surprising if the US weren't involved in covert actions. Equally, I'd be amazed if Rumsfeld didn't deny it to the hilt, at least until things in Iraq had cooled down considerably. Do we have anything more concrete than his denials to go on?

? Think man! If we were to actually know something about covert operations then they would not be covert operations. I believe it is fairly reasonable to say that most countries are involved in covert operations in foreign countries all the time. I think it would be pretty unreasonable to suggest that any country involved in armed conflict with another country is not involved in covert operations. I imagine that even countries like France and Germany have covert operatives in Iraq gathering intelligence as we speak. After all a big part of any military budget goes to intelligence gathering.

I really do not understand why you sound like you just had an epiphany about this.

Regards

Townsend said:
I imagine that even countries like France and Germany have covert operatives in Iraq gathering intelligence as we speak.

France ?, Germany ? don't even mention them, because from what I read in your posts you going to gravitate slowly and blaming them for all US failures in Iraq.

PS. What was Abu-ghraib all about ?? was not that one huge death squad operation !

tumor said:
France ?, Germany ? don't even mention them, because from what I read in your posts you going to gravitate slowly and blaming them for all US failures in Iraq.

PS. What was Abu-ghraib all about ?? was not that one huge death squad operation !

I do not blame them for US failures in Iraq I blame those who are responsible for them. I believe the buck stops with the person who had the authority over the situation and of course all those under him or her that did not object to the bad decision.

I used France and Germany because they are two countries who are obviously opposed to this war. The point being that even countries that are completely against war, like France, will be involved in covert opperations and they should be. There is nothing wrong with a country looking out for its own best interest.

Regards

Actually what US army is doing in Iraq is not looking for its own intetrests but for Israel's.American soldiers are dying fighting Israel's war.

Townsend said:
There is nothing wrong with a country looking out for its own best interest.

This sounds very like George W, and is only reasonable coming from a reasonable man. In GW's case, it implies that the ends can be made to justify the means. Why not a final solution then? Go on, you know you want to; they are all scum and you are doing it for the good.

tumor said:
Actually what US army is doing in Iraq is not looking for its own intetrests but for Israel's.American soldiers are dying fighting Israel's war.

:eek: Pandora's Box alert! Pandora's Box alert!

Townsend said:
I used France and Germany because they are two countries who are obviously opposed to this war. The point being that even countries that are completely against war, like France, will be involved in covert opperations and they should be. There is nothing wrong with a country looking out for its own best interest.

Regards

I am from argentina. then i guess i have the rigth to train a death squad cell and infiltrate it in american soil to do some "Selective Assasinations", hey, it's for my own best interest...

the number 42 said:
a final solution ; they are all scum

This sounds very much like Adolf Hitler to me. But of course I am taking you out of context. I would appreciate it if you would please not take my words out of context to make it seem as if I am saying something I never did.

I really wonder why I ever bothered trying to communicate with you people.

Burnsys said:
I am from argentina. then i guess i have the rigth to train a death squad cell and infiltrate it in american soil to do some "Selective Assasinations", hey, it's for my own best interest...

I never said that it was ok for the US or any other country to have death squads. Where on Earth are you getting your ideas from? Please take the time to read what I say carefully before you respond to it. If there is something you do not understand then ask me and I will do my best to answer. This can go for everyone on this message board including myself.

Often times we let our emotions respond for us. This is a mistake and this is a perfect example of someone who thinks they read something they did not read and so they responded emotionally to the situation. If they would have thought about it a bit more carefully they would realize what they are saying makes no sense at all.

Regards

the number 42 said:
This sounds very like George W, and is only reasonable coming from a reasonable man. In GW's case, it implies that the ends can be made to justify the means. Why not a final solution then? Go on, you know you want to; they are all scum and you are doing it for the good.

Just to clarify, this post was made in response to an earlier post by me that said.

" There is nothing wrong with a country looking out for its own best interest."

Of course this is taken out of context but I contend that it is true by it self and so it is ok to be out of context.

The key to understanding this statement is to realize that while it is ok for a country to look out for its own best interest it is not ok for that country to do whatever it takes to get what is in its best interest. What I mean by that is, it is ok for a country to take steps in its own interest as long as that does not mean causing unreasonable amounts of harms.

As a specific example the US is very interested in gathering intelligence from its prisoners of war. It is in the US's best interest to gather this intel by whatever means necessary but it is NOT ok for the US to do that. Has the US done this? It would seem so and I am really disappointed and ashamed of those people who in committing such a heinous act, have brought discredit upon the entire United States.

What I am trying to get at is that by taking my words out of context and by misrepresenting what I a saying a few people here have made it out to sound like I am justifying brutal acts by any country as long as that country is doing what is in its own best interest. Obviously this is completely wrong and it really is sad that I should have to go through all of this for just a simple comment.

Regards

Why don't we just call them "Happy Squads"? That would make it more palateable.