Privacy and Government Surveillance: Are We Willing to Sacrifice Our Rights?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the Guardian newspaper reported on a top-secret program ordering Verizon to share daily records of all its customers' phone calls with the US government. The FBI asked a secret US court to grant the order in April, and it covers all of Verizon's phone records through July.
Now that's interesting. I thought if China gave him up then it would only to be to the US; he seemed like a good bargaining chip for them.

Also, I think a slow and difficult prosecution is good in that future whistleblowers may not be dissuaded as easily. I don't know about everyone else but I feel most safe when the government and people in government are in the hot seat. Maybe one day our offensive military and intelligence apparatus will be thrown out, but that appears to be a pipe dream on my part.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I hope Ecuador grants him asylum.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10892479

Last edited by a moderator:
Kim Dotcom just posted on Twitter:
If you hack into US computers you get a decade in jail. If you hack Universities in China for the US Govt you get paid.

All I could do was laugh.

And who's going to play Snowden in the upcoming movie? And who's going to direct it? Stone, or Spielberg?

I hear they are looking for someone 30ish, caucasian, all American looking, slightly unshaven, slightly nearsighted, male, with way too much computer savvy, and has been all around the world, to play the lead.

hmmm...

Has anyone heard from the boss lately?

snowden.blockbuster.movie.whos.starring.in.the.title.role.jpg

OmCheeto said:
And who's going to play Snowden in the upcoming movie? And who's going to direct it? Stone, or Spielberg?

I hear they are looking for someone 30ish, caucasian, all American looking, slightly unshaven, slightly nearsighted, male, with way too much computer savvy, and has been all around the world, to play the lead.

hmmm...

Has anyone heard from the boss lately?

snowden.blockbuster.movie.whos.starring.in.the.title.role.jpg

:rofl: OMG!

PhysicsGente said:
It seems that Snowden was a Chinese spy after al IMO and Honk Kong won't send him back to the US.

"Snowden Alleges U.S. Hacking in China"
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324577904578562483284884530.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Maybe he's a Russian, Cuban, Venezuelan, Ecuadoran spy. :rolleyes:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-snowden-20130624,0,1088900.story

MOSCOW — The hunt for Edward Snowden stretched around the globe Sunday as the 30-year-old leaker of U.S. classified material flew out of Hong Kong under cover of darkness, dropped into the protective embrace of Russia and made plans to hopscotch through Cuba and Venezuela to eventual asylum in Ecuador.

From http://change.gov/agenda/ethics_agenda

Protect Whistleblowers: Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled. We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrongdoing and partners in performance. Barack Obama will strengthen whistleblower laws to protect federal workers who expose waste, fraud, and abuse of authority in government. Obama will ensure that federal agencies expedite the process for reviewing whistleblower claims and whistleblowers have full access to courts and due process.

Bobbywhy said:
Even so, Snowden is NOT a whistleblower: President of the Council on Foreign Relations, Richard Haass, said that using the word 'whistleblower' for Snowden is not justified as a whistleblower is a person who reveals wrongdoing, corruption, illegal activity which is not applicable to Snowden.

Slowly the story seems to unfold and it becomes clear why the US try to mark Snowden as a criminal by all means:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/29/us-usa-eu-spying-idUSBRE95S0AQ20130629

So the US bugged offices of the European Union and gained illegal access to their internal computer networks? Obviously the US wanted this news from becoming public. It is hard to keep the public image of being the good guys while simultaneously spying on allies and becoming a surveillance state. I would not be surprised if it turns out that the US already outdistanced China when it comes to industrial espionage.

Cthugha said:
I would not be surprised if it turns out that the US already outdistanced China when it comes to industrial espionage.
Neither were I.
It will be very difficult for the US to get hold of Snowden on the grounds of international law as long as he has informations on the US breaking the laws in all the countries where he stays.

Already now there is a lot of information out: Apparently, the NSA used Frankfurt/Germany as a base for it´s operations. I think it is only a matter of time until some investigative journalists will have hunted down some of the NSA staff as in the case of the CIA shanghaing persons or of the French secret services sinking of the rainbow warrior.

StevieTNZ said:
I hope Ecuador grants him asylum.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10892479

Yeah, I agree I am glad I know this now... now I can return my Verizon cable box XD

trollcast said:
It looks like the Americans aren't the only ones at it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/21/gchq-cables-secret-world-communications-nsa

LOL. V for Vendetta. In the year 2025 America will break out in civil war get your Guns kid, its gunna be a blood bath.Mean while, Good ol' Britannia will be submissive until V shows up and blows up parliament XD

Updated PRISM slides:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/prism-collection-documents/?hpid=z1

The newly released documents below give additional details about how the program operates, including the levels of review and supervisory control at the NSA and FBI. The documents also show how the program interacts with the Internet companies. These slides, annotated by The Post, represent a selection from the overall document, and certain portions are redacted.

Greg Bernhardt said:
http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision...ying-explained/story?id=19347440#.UbIE0PnCbmE

What's everyone's take on this? I agree, it shouldn't be so shocking given the patriot act and other moves by the government, but are we really ok with this? It's a slippery slope and rarely can we get back our privacy. Are we ok with having our communications profiled for the rest of our lives?

This is great news: it will be harder and harder for terrorists and criminals to get away with crime since our government is doing better detective work. Had our government been as vigilant as this right from the start, we could have prevented the September 11th attacks.

The NSA is a great organization and President Obama has been doing a great job in keeping both the USA and the world safe while at the same time promoting freedom, human rights, and democracy across the globe. Personally, I would support a third term for him.

Synaptic said:
This is great news: it will be harder and harder for terrorists and criminals to get away with crime since our government is doing better detective work. Had our government been as vigilant as this right from the start, we could have prevented the September 11th attacks.

The NSA is a great organization and President Obama has been doing a great job in keeping both the USA and the world safe while at the same time promoting freedom, human rights, and democracy across the globe. Personally, I would support a third term for him.

Haha, good one. It is a little ironic to have freedom quielty being dismantled at home, and then go abroad and publicly preach the virtues of freedom and human rights (generally includes privacy).

Did you all see that Putin said Snowden had to stop leaking US secrets if he wanted asylum. I guess it makes sense. You don't want this guy sitting in your country pissing off your adversary in a battle where there aren't any spoils to be had.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/politics/nsa-leak/index.html

Last edited:
Synaptic said:

This is my take on it also. It's kind of like nosy neighbors. They are always watching everything going on in the neighborhood, waiting for someone to do something so they can call the police on them. Only, being mostly law abiding, they call the cops when the crackheads try to break into someones house while they're at work.

I don't really see the "They're taking away our liberty and freedom" argument. I still do whatever the heck I want.

Such is not true elsewhere:

Two Iranian bloggers are to be executed

Hey! Look! Tim Berners-Lee has something to say about it:

If criminals had access to that information about Members of Parliament or the military, the potential for blackmail could be huge. I think it's something this country needs to address.

This is actually my biggest worry, after bad mouthing the Turkish mafia on Facebook, and having them show up on my front porch the next day, with dogs.*

* This story has been embellished for dramatic effect. The young man was not Turkish, they were not on my porch, and there was only one dog. But it was a big dog. The biggest Doberman I've ever seen in my life. He turned out to be not as mean as I perceived him, as he didn't bite me when I walked him out of my back yard to his owner in the street. I told the young man the dog was not allowed in my back yard, as it was scaring the living daylights of my cats.

OmCheeto said:
Such is not true elsewhere:

Bahrain student sentenced for insulting king
High school pupil Ali Al Shofa sent to prison for one year for insulting Gulf island's ruler via Twitter.

Saudis jailed for urging protests on Facebook
Seven activists to spend up to 10 years in prison for inciting anti-government protests, rights group reports.

Meanwhile, in Texas:

Teenager in jail since March for sarcastic Internet comment faces 8 years in prison
A teenager from Texas could spend the next eight years in prison if a court decides that the sarcastic comment he made during an online argument is enough to convict him of issuing a terroristic threat.

Oh! He was turned in by a Canadian Facebook spy!
Nosey neighbors... :grumpy: