Explore Western USA Natural Wonders on Tour

In summary: Estes Park or Rocky Mountain National Park...they are really neat.In summary, the Western United States has a lot to offer in terms of natural scenery. Death Valley, Yosemite, Crater Lake, Napa Valley, Monterrey Bay, Redwood Forest, Mystery Spot, and Mt. Rainier are all great places to visit.
Adam
I have a tour coming up of the western mainland of the USA, starting in California. I've already seen those large groovy canyons. What else is there to see over there, in terms of natural scenery? I hear the Rocky Mountains look quite nice, and it's not far out of my path. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
My daughter and I are going to visit Badlands and Rushmore, Grand Teton, and eventually Yosemite, starting this weekend and covering two weeks for the whole trip.

Oh, maybe I can call in on those seismic survey groups in Yosemite. That certainly looks like a beautiful place.

Death Valley, Yosemite, Crater Lake, Napa Valley, Monterrey Bay, Redwood Forest, Mystery Spot (Santa Cruz), Mt. Rainier...are all quite interesting.

Last edited:
Sequoia National Forest
San Francisco

in oregon...crater lake definitely, do you like to hike a decent climb? try smith rock in central oregon (hiking it changed my life!)...and the rocky mountains in the west are spectacular from what i hear, however the volcanoes here in oregon are even more magnificent because you are looking at 10,000 feet and higher mountains from the valley...

If it's not too far otu of your way, I've always thought Meteor Crater, in Arizona would be a cool place to visit.

LURCH said:
If it's not too far otu of your way, I've always thought Meteor Crater, in Arizona would be a cool place to visit.

oh definitely! i was there about 5 years ago, and it is quite a sight to see!

Come to England. Walk for 5 minutes in London and you can see all of the major sites: London Eye, Tower Bridge, Big Ben, Houses of Parlament, Piccadilly Circus, Harrods etc... Only 5 minutes. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Ah, The Bob, you miss the point that Adam - the US's biggest critic on PF - only wishes to appreciate places of "natural scenery" ; not things created by the vile denizens of this land. :biggrin: :wink: :tongue2:

Gokul43201 said:
Ah, The Bob, you miss the point that Adam - the US's biggest critic on PF - only wishes to appreciate places of "natural scenery" ; not things created by the vile denizens of this land. :biggrin: :wink: :tongue2:

LoL. :rofl: It was a joke as he is traveling the US. :biggrin: Hehe :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. You from England then?

I was recently in the west side of USA. I can say I see almost every national park. If you can go to Yellowstone (though it is more to the center) go! Yosemite is also beautiful but Yellowstone is better :)... I recommend you to go to the Grand Canyon to see it from above (but it's so big that you almost don't see clearly the other side) If you want to feel inside of a Canyon go to the Zion National Park...I went to many of these parks, but for me, Zion was the most beautiful, it has a peculiar red color. Sequoia is also quite impressive but if you prefer to see wild life Yellowstone is the best one.
Ahhh... I also recommend you to go to some old cowboy town, one of those along the route 66, the two that I most remember are Williams and Oakman. Ja,ja...oakman is like a surreal city... in the middle of nowhere in the desert with a lot of donkeys walking in the street :surprise: ...it is very small and there is almost nothing but it worth to see it because is like being in a old cowboy movie...it is really surreal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

And no, I am not anti-USA in any way. I also plan to visit man-made sites, as I did the last time I was there.

As others have suggested, the Sequoia National Forest is really cool, and Napa Valley is where all the wineries are...it's best to plan to stay in a hotel near there, even better if the hotel has a shuttle to pick you up at the end of your day of wine-tasting. You didn't say how long you'd be in the US or what part of California you were starting in? That might alter the sights you go see. I think the most fun in terms of natural scenery is if you're in Southern California and drive to Arizona, you can go from sunny beaches, to snowy mountains to desert in just an hour or two.

I'm starting at a friend's place in Bakersfield, and I really have no idea how long I will be over there.

The wine thing sounds good. I live in such an area myself, and enjoy a drop now and then.

Adam said:
The wine thing sounds good. I live in such an area myself, and enjoy a drop now and then.

aussie wine is my favorite, especially the reds...

If you're heading through the Rockies of Colorado, check out Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Not as popular as the Grand Canyon, since it's not the 'biggest', but offers much more in the way of beauty. It's not too far from Mesa Verde, which is also an interesting trip.

If you like the four-wheeling experience, a trip up to the Great Sand Dunes via the eastern side of the Modano pass is quite an experience. Get yourself one of those disc shaped sleds and try some kind of silicon spray on the bottom if you tour the dunes. All the good camp sites are back in the pass, where the average tourist can't get to, so a high-clearance 4-wheel drive vehicle is preferable.

And if you get up by Colorado Springs, check out the Garden of the Gods, then drive up Rampart Range Road to the Rampart Reservoir, then stop by the Green Mountain Falls hiking trail on your way back down the Ute pass. It's short, but great photo backdrops with the two waterfalls that give Green Mountain Falls its name.

If you're really into physical exertion, the Barr Trail up Pikes Peak is a great hike. You usually catch the train back down, or have someone meet you at the top to drive you back down. The train and road both take different routes than the hiking trail up, so, either way, you get to see at least two sides of the mountain.

And, if you're coming out at the end of the spring, when the water's really running, yee haw! - you have to try one of the rafting trips down the Ark thru the Royal Gorge in the South or down the Colorado if you pass through further North.

I'm not sure about driving around in a 4WD. I would bet it's quite expensive to hire one. However, I'd prefer to wander about afoot anyway. If I had the funds, I'd love to spend about a year walking all over North America, then another year heading south through Central and South America.

1. What natural wonders can be explored on this tour?

On this tour, you will have the opportunity to explore some of the most iconic natural wonders of the western United States. This includes the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite National Park, and Bryce Canyon National Park.

2. How long is the tour?

The tour typically lasts for 7-10 days, depending on the specific itinerary. This allows for ample time to visit and explore each natural wonder without feeling rushed.

3. Is the tour physically demanding?

While there will be some walking and hiking involved in exploring the natural wonders, the tour is designed to be suitable for most fitness levels. However, some trails may have steep inclines or uneven terrain, so it's important to have a moderate level of physical fitness.

4. Will there be opportunities for wildlife sightings?

Yes, the tour will take you through some of the most diverse and wildlife-rich areas of the western US. You may have the chance to see animals such as bison, elk, bears, and wolves in their natural habitats.

5. Are meals and accommodations included in the tour?

Yes, the tour package includes accommodations for each night of the tour as well as some meals. However, some meals may be at your own expense, and the tour guide will provide recommendations for local restaurants and dining options.